GEN 2 First oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirt is causing the silicone problems. Better check your intake system. Do a search for silicon in oil analysis.

I agree and was thinking the exact same thing. Are you running an aftermarket CAI

I have been running AMSOIL for decades and have been very happy with the performances of their oil.

D

Deleted member 17706

It says that it CAN be those things. That doesn’t mean it is those things. If he doesn’t have an aftermarket air in take, then it is more likely from the seals or something inside the engine. But that is still a low level of silicon, so I wouldn’t be that concerned. Change the oil and test it again. This is why you should change your oil multiple times within the first 10k.

Also, people don’t realize how much oil stays in the oil pan after you drain it. The silicon level could be from old oil. Fast forward the video to 1:15 to see what I am talking about:

Different oil will help his high viscosity level and low TBN number—such things are very important to preserve your engine.

OP
OP
MnFlyer

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bone stock.

I’m guessing the silicon is just left over from the engine breaking in ie seals and what not. All pavement miles so far and I don’t live where it is that dusty, air filter is damn near pristine.

I’ve Mobile one in again, as the analysts took a week or so to come back. I’m gonna change at 3k and go with amsoil and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MnFlyer

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here’s my second analysis

Where in the hell is the fuel dilution coming from??

My trips are longer, 80 miles or so. I don’t idle etc

e803ba7e1a229fcd2ed372859cf0a4f4.jpg

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel dilution is normal (up to 8% on the 3.5L HO). The 3.0L diesel can get as high as 12%.

OP
OP
MnFlyer

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel dilution is normal (up to 8% on the 3.5L HO). The 3.0L diesel can get as high as 12%.

I appreciate the response.

Not to sound like “that guy”. Do you have a reference to support your response? Not necessarily from FORD but just something I can put my mind at ease.

It seems odd that my first oil analysis didn’t show any fuel dilution but this one was so “high”.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense that it would come up as you get some miles on the truck. I would bet it will stay consistent now that thing are loosening up some. Boosted motors will have more fuel in the oil(gas makes it's way past the intake valve in to the oil) then you have soot (exhaust gases getting past the rings)

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the response.

Not to sound like “that guy”. Do you have a reference to support your response? Not necessarily from FORD but just something I can put my mind at ease.

It seems odd that my first oil analysis didn’t show any fuel dilution but this one was so “high”.

It's typical to see little to no fuel dilution the first oil change as piston rings are fairly new. @MEATSWORD describes this spot on.

I spoke to a Ford engineer (about this exact topic a couple weeks ago) that was involved in the development of the 2nd Gen D35 engine (our 3.5L GTDI) and they have seen fuel dilution averages of about 5% during engine performance development durability tests. For comparison's sake, other GTDI engines run around 6%-6.5% fuel dilution. Fuel dilution can be even higher or lower than average depending on operating environment, duty cycle and a few other factors.

OP
OP
MnFlyer

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Thank you gentleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member