First Ever Truck - 2014 Raptor - Service Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Rush

Reaction score
Yes, your trans was serviced, should be good to go for many miles. My truck has 82k miles and the ass end does not pass the bounce test at all so I will be doing the shocks next week. It is a Shelby so when you nail it it puts a lot of torque on the suspension and I get a rear end wobble at about 70 mph.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they had the valve body out of the trans, it most likely had the lead frame update done.

As for plugs, they are supposed to be good for 100k from the factory. Id change all 16 if you don't know if they are original.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
I guess my last question is the power steering fluid. I see very little mention of it on the forums.

Does it need to be flushed?

Mines just a bit lower that the min fill. What should I top it off with?

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my last question is the power steering fluid. I see very little mention of it on the forums.

Does it need to be flushed?

Mines just a bit lower that the min fill. What should I top it off with?

Our trucks use Ford Mercon ATF as power steering fluid. Same stuff I linked earlier in this thread.

A peace of mind mod (which I totally have sitting in my garage but I'm lazy) is a power steering reservoir and maybe a cooler too. They are known to whine and eventually fail under heavy load.

If they had the valve body out of the trans, it most likely had the lead frame update done.

As for plugs, they are supposed to be good for 100k from the factory. Id change all 16 if you don't know if they are original.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2014 doesn't fall under the TSB for the trans/valve body/lead frame but can still be affected by those symptoms, just not at a rate for Ford to warrant a TSB?

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Our trucks use Ford Mercon ATF as power steering fluid. Same stuff I linked earlier in this thread.

A peace of mind mod (which I totally have sitting in my garage but I'm lazy) is a power steering reservoir and maybe a cooler too. They are known to whine and eventually fail under heavy load.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2014 doesn't fall under the TSB for the trans/valve body/lead frame but can still be affected by those symptoms, just not at a rate for Ford to warrant a TSB?

That is correct.
While Ford had updated the harness for the 14 model year, there were still reports of issues on early builds.
I did mine when I rebuilt trans since we were in there.

I made my comment on the OP's truck, as a likely cause for Ford to have the valve body out. Pure speculation on my part..lol

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
So still getting used to the truck and loving every moment of it. Got all my fluids delivered today, going to start changing them out tomorrow.

When I first picked up the truck and got home with the windows down, I noticed a slight hum noise that changed with speed. To me it sounds like tire noise but it seems to be a different pitch when turning left vs right. It’s not loud enough that you hear when on the gas or have music on.

The dealer before selling it put brand new BFGs. Not sure if this what I’m hearing or a wheel bearing go bad.

I started reading up and got worried. Any easy way to test? Theirs no vibration in the cabin, maybe just a slight vibration through the accelerator.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
After watching a couple of videos I’m almost positive it sounds the same as a bad bearing. I believe it’s the driver side as when I turn right, the noise mostly goes away. Left turn it gets worse.

Should I get this replaced ASAP? Should I do both even if only 1 is the problem? How much is this gonna cost?

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the tires. I know theres a bit of a reverse bell curve with tire noise, its usually pretty noisy right when they're put on until they get worn down a bit then near the end of their life they get pretty noisy again.

You could always put it on a lift and check to see if there is any give to the suspension or steering.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
It could be the tires. I know theres a bit of a reverse bell curve with tire noise, its usually pretty noisy right when they're put on until they get worn down a bit then near the end of their life they get pretty noisy again.

You could always put it on a lift and check to see if there is any give to the suspension or steering.

I hope. I’m taking it to a shop soon for the transmission filter change so I guess I can have them look.

The noise almost sounds like a small engine engine braking. At first I thought it was the truck engine but then it didn’t match RPM and was too quite

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just spitballing but I hope you don't have to do extra legwork on your new truck.

Its good that you are so focused on getting your truck up to spec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20