First Ever Truck - 2014 Raptor - Service Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess the I’ll start with the ones I can do

-transfer and diffs. What oil/weight do you recommend
-Flush and fill Rad
-engine Oil change

I see you didn’t mention plugs, are they worth doing now? Higher up in price on the list of things to do.

Brakes do feel a bit “squishy” but hard to tell since I’m coming from an M2. What rotors and brakes do you recommend?

transfer case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031BUW0I/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

differentials: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRCT24/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

coolant: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ity-antifreeze-and-engine-coolant/?zo=1678239

I'm not a fan of the orange stuff. Apparently its a similar blend of what GM used on their trucks that would cause sludge over time. I only know because Land Rover used an old GM block for ages and thats what they used as well. Google dex cool sludge for more info.

Plugs are worth doing as a preventive measure, but not required if you don't have any misses at this time.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
transfer case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031BUW0I/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

differentials: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRCT24/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

coolant: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ity-antifreeze-and-engine-coolant/?zo=1678239

I'm not a fan of the orange stuff. Apparently its a similar blend of what GM used on their trucks that would cause sludge over time. I only know because Land Rover used an old GM block for ages and thats what they used as well. Google dex cool sludge for more info.

Plugs are worth doing as a preventive measure, but not required if you don't have any misses at this time.

Thanks!

Yea I'm trying to do things now that will prevent damage or me getting stuck on the side of the road.

In regards to the Fox Shocks, I plan on rebuilding them but want to get some other stuff out of the way and save up for that. Does driving on older shocks damage anything or you just deal with a worse ride quality?

Also I was looking and rotors and such today and noticed that the rear driver bump stop is missing. The passenger side is in good condition. Should I replace this with an OEM one? Is their a part # for that?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tasca Parts is one of the best places to buy OEM stuff, I buy everything there.
Four new shocks too. I had three blown shocks at 27,000 miles. NYC potholes do more damage than off roading!!!

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
Tasca Parts is one of the best places to buy OEM stuff, I buy everything there.
Four new shocks too. I had three blown shocks at 27,000 miles. NYC potholes do more damage than off roading!!!
Thank you! The illustrations on that website helped me easily find the bump stop.

The car was also missing a bumper cover on the front, the 2 that stick out. I took the one I had off to see if it had a part # and for the life of me I can get it back on lol.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bumperettes are difficult to get back on, do a search on the forum for bumperetts someone has a solution for them.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Yea I'm trying to do things now that will prevent damage or me getting stuck on the side of the road.

In regards to the Fox Shocks, I plan on rebuilding them but want to get some other stuff out of the way and save up for that. Does driving on older shocks damage anything or you just deal with a worse ride quality?

Also I was looking and rotors and such today and noticed that the rear driver bump stop is missing. The passenger side is in good condition. Should I replace this with an OEM one? Is their a part # for that?

The shocks will be a worse ride but shouldn't mess anything up as long as you drive the truck with that in mind. If you plan on upgrading to something more aggressive or an aftermarket kit you could probably wait it out for a bit. I know of another Raptor owner who hasn't touched his shocks and has like 90k miles on them and no problem.

If you're gonna be working on the bump stop it may be worth your time to upgrade, but I've always been an upgrade if it breaks type guy.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! The illustrations on that website helped me easily find the bump stop.

The car was also missing a bumper cover on the front, the 2 that stick out. I took the one I had off to see if it had a part # and for the life of me I can get it back on lol.

Okay so the bumperette, I've had two of those ******* fall off; people say you can throw them back on without tearing into the truck a bit but thats untrue.

I've posted this a few times but heres the steps roughly:

1. Remove the skid plate.

2. Remove the tow hook.

3. Use a ritchie ratchet to undo the 2 nuts that hold onto the backside of the bumperette. I dont remember the size, but if I had to guess its 13mm.

4. Remove bumperette from the truck and place the cover back onto the bumperette.

5. Place bumperette back on, and put everything back together using steps 3 2 and 1.

Its the correct way of doing it, its also the easiest way, and while a bit time consuming it only takes 45 minutes max.

Heres the part number for the drivers side: AL3Z-17E811-A. If you order that whole assembly you dont ever have to worry about putting the bumperette cover onto the new one... just bolt the new one in. Not the most clear, but I promise you thats the best way of doing it.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to change my own spark plugs then read "be careful not to break them off!" That was it for me, I had my shop swap them out and upgrade my plug wires while they were at it.

Yea, I know, there were a lot of feathers on this one...LOL!

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
I was looking closer at the carfax and noticed this about the transmission. Does this look like they did the flush?

Capture.JPG

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think so, but at least some transmission fluid was replaced while it was being fixed.
I have to find the bill but it's around $400 to $500 I think, for a full tanny flush.