GEN 2 First cold snap - Locks froze again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Larry Jeffords

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
U P D A T E - And its not good. We had rain a couple days ago. Today temps were in the low 20's. I went out and as soon as I pulled the handle I knew the latch was frozen. The door opened but would not stay closed. I'm pissed. I'm frustrated. Most of all I am disappointed. Over $72k for this truck, it gets better care than I do, little over 12,000 miles and all recalls and service bulletins have been done. WTF?

So I call the dealer where I bought it and had all the work done and to their credit, I was told bring it right in and give us 30 minutes to get a vehicle ready for you. I declined their offer of a vehicle as we have snow coming tomorrow and it would just be one more vehicle to clean off and around. Thank God I still have my Jeep. I dare say my next truck will not be a Ford.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
- did you try actuating the inside door handle? I’m not saying this is a fix, but I just had the opposite problem confirmed - inside handle to open the door and it won’t latch, outside handle actuates, door latches. so, just wondering if you get this frozen condition, if you actuate the interior handle, will the door latch properly?

from what stealership tells me, my issue is cable stretch, hope to have it remedied tomorrow AM

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
Dropped down in the single digits last night and my rear drivers side door froze me out after an 8 minute remote start warmup. Loaded the kiddo from the passenger side got to gymnastics and pulled the lock up by hand, door would open and shut but the lock only moved manually. Left that side in the sun, worked the lock manually for about 30 seconds and went inside. Worked fine an hour and a 10 minute warmup later.

Going in next Friday, dealer said they will "treat" all 4 doors. Not sure if that means TSB or lubricate. Hosed the latches down with wd40 and the wait begins, should be relatively above freezing until next wednesday.