GEN 2 First cold snap - Locks froze again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So this is not an or the answer as I agree it’s ridiculous. It’s just poor craftsmanship of the door and its inner workings. But I digress.

Until a recall is forced upon them, just buy some quality spray lube, something better than WD40, and spray the latch. Keep can in car. It works like a charm.

No, we shouldn’t have to. I said it’s not an or the answer but it works.

For what it’s worth, I experienced it on my 17 Raptor and 18 Platinum, but not in my 19 Raptor.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prolly the only way to avoid this is to garage your Raptor. I had Chevy Astro Van in Seattle - Issaquah up on Squak Mtn in the 90's and those big front doors would get frozen onto the body. The weather strip around the doors would freeze solid to the body. The key locks would freeze too but remote would still unlock it. It did not have remote start.

The process to get in was to pour warm (NOT HOT) water around the entire door seal, pull the door open, start it and let it warm up for 15 mins with heat and defrost full blast. The water will freeze on the ground so dont fall on you @ss. The driveway was a hill so things would get interesting with ice.

I soon learned an easier way is to put an old single bed cotton sheet over both of the front doors while open. Then close the doors on the inner part of the sheets. This keeps the weatherstrip from freezing onto the body. You can drape the sheets over the mirrors too to keep ice off them. Then put another sheet or tarp over the front windshield using wipers and doors to clamp it in place. Gets rid of needing to scrape ice for 15 minutes

We used to get a ton of freezing rain in Issaquah. 1/4"+ thick on everything! Isn't winter fun! We used to run 4 studded tires on the Astro AWD. That thing would climb a tree in solid ice! Heavy and good weight distribution. Mine was a TBI V6 not enough power. Had to get a running start on Highway Grades to hold 65 mph. A 5.7L 350cid engine would have been great but the V6 was already crammed in there. Changing plugs was a real knuckle grinder!

Aloha, HT

Last edited:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been annoyed by that FSA posting on FordPass for ages now and have asked the dealer if they could just get rid of it and the answer was no, I had to have the repair done. Ironically, I’ve got a door that doesn’t like to latch all the time, but not related to the temperature.

question for you: Do you / did you warm up the truck first? I run mine a few minutes before getting in, and I’m wondering if that may be what keeps me from seeing this when it’s cold.

I also have the annoying message on my FordPass app. Since I live in SE Texas, it rarely gets colder than 32 degrees and I have never experienced an issue.

However, they will not perform the fix unless you experience the problem, so I guess I am stuck with an annoying message for the life of my truck... :( (I know, third world problems...)

SRPRACING

Reaction score
I’ve never had the issues...wow that’s crazy that happens. Hopefully something gets figured out soon.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same message on the app, sometimes the passengers door does it, but I don't wanna do the recall as I firmly believe everytime the truck goes to the dealer they have to screw up something else in the process

OP
OP
Larry Jeffords

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
Well we'll see what happens. I dropped it of today and told them I didn't want it back until it was fixed. After reading some of the posts on this forum, I considered some of the fixes suggested. However, I decided to let Ford do whatever recalls/bulletins they have and when their done trial and erroring their way through the problem. That way I couldn't be blamed for the continued malfunction. I may try the WD-40/Marine grade white grease idea in the future.

Oddly enough, I let it run for more than 20 minutes this morning (temperature was in the low 20's) and when I got it, the driver's door still would not latch. I took a peak at the latch to try to free it manually and found that I could move it but what looked like white grease felt like glue. I can't imagine that is helping. (I've done nothing to any of the latches and the truck hasn't been to the car wash since early October when I bought a used Jeep)

I'll keep you posted.

Guithues

Reaction score
only have 10 days or so in the teens with no problem. But I did let ford do the warranty repair this week, so hopefully things dont go backwards

OP
OP
Larry Jeffords

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
Enhanced (latest) Field Service Bulletin 19N02 was completed 12/4/2019.

Day 1 - 21 degrees when I got up - Locks functioning normally via fob. Fingers crossed.

Day 2 - 2 Degrees when I got up - Locks functioning normally via fob. Fingers crossed.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
B O N U S - I got rid of the FSA reminder on FordPass. :)

I hope to be joining you in that small victory soon. My wife seems to be able to make the passenger door not close / latch. I do it, and it works fine, but I had another passenger replicate it. It’s not and hasn’t been freezing cold, so I’m thinking it is something else, but the dealer is doing the service for all 4.

I can tell you after the repair right away if it will be successful or not. I know this because the first service memo hit FordPass exactly 2 days after I completed the door speaker upgrades along with coating them with Dynamat. I’ve already had the first service memo done and figured - great, done with that issue. Wrong.

If I see crumbled up dynamat sheets in my truck after this, we can safely know that this service memo will fix the door latching issues for all of us... Until or unless I reinstall some kind of sound insulation on my doors, in which case, we’ll get another service memo requiring another dealer visit and multi-hour repair.

If, however, the dealer leaves my dynamat intact, there will be another service memo or TSB for the door latches. Guaranteed.