First 2018 cracked windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Didnt even make 6k miles on my 2018 before an idiot driving infront of me swirved onto the shoulder and kicked up some stones into my windshield. Got a nice bullseye with a crack now!

Didnt see any other threads, have you guys been using safelite?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Call your insurance folks, usually they offer a $0 deductible glass claim for your first replacement every year.

OP
OP
F

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill give it a try thanks, was gonna try and get away without having to replace it

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i used safelight to repair a chip i have in mine and that cost goes to the price of a new windshield whenever i decide its time.

i have also used my insurance to replace a winshield in my other vehicle for 0$

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used safelight to repair a chip in my windshield. No issues for 6 years. Paid cash, didn't use insurance

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being in the auto industry, I can personally say I have not been a fan of the workmanship provided by Safelite autoglass. I can't tell you how many cars I've seen where they (Safelite) have left trim pieces off and/or have broken them. Another issue I've seen is the new aftermarket glass doesn't fit like the OEM glass so you'll then have windnoise at highway speeds.

Now with that being said, I'm not sayingn ALL of Safelite technicians don't know what they're doing. Much like anything else, you have your good seeds and you'll have your bad seeds. Me personally, I would stick with the OEM glass as long as your insurance company is willing to pay for it.

OP
OP
F

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that was my worry, ive had safelite on other cars, but those vehicles have more complicated trims than the raptor. I did have worse wind noise, so i was concerned about having to change it!

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have a $0 ded for comp, id consider chatting with your agent to do so. So many things over the years on there, including 4 windshields on my Gen1 rap from rocks during runs.

When you call your agent for the claim, you can request they use a ford windshield too. Its one extra step, but worth it to get the legit "SoundScreen" one or whatever is the latest n greatest, and i never got charged extra etc. You will still have a safelite type person come out to do it, but avoids getting a cheapo replacement glass

OP
OP
F

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried it on my fj cruiser windshield and it didnt work that well. I may have not been very good at it too