Fire extinguisher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What fire extinguishers do you guys carry? Different for cab, engine bay, and bed?

I swear I searched for this topic. No results.

I'm intrigued by Halotron for the lack of mess, but don't love the idea of one in the cab given that they aren't rated for plastics. Seems like a lot of plastic in the cab of a truck. But I am a very inexperienced off-roader.

Anyone use one of the little aerosol extinguishers (like First Alert Tundra)?

D

Deleted member 12951

I have two H3R Halguard brand in the cab at all times. A small 1# behind the center console and a 2.5# in front or the passenger seat. When I off-road, I have another 2.5# on the bed cage within easy reach for me, the driver. HalGuard is the clean agent halotron.

9e8246c9a3e54d176a6e973d62bbbd66.jpg

I have thought about switching over to the Element as it has a lot longer discharge

https://elementfire.com

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For in vehicle use, Halotron is the way to go - especially if you’re looking for an escape extinguisher... or if you’re trapped.

ABC extinguishers are typically made up of monoammonium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, or potassium bicarbonate. These components are corrosive and can often cause more damage to a vehicle than a small fire. If fine powder particulates get into an electrical system, it’s toast. While ABC’s aren’t toxic, they are no fun to breathe. Many moons ago, I was a fire extinguisher technician. (Yeah, it’s a thing) One day I was driving down the road in my service box truck when an improperly secured 10# ABC fell over and the head came off. Within seconds, I could barely breathe and see. Not fun! LOL

One note about Halotron... while it’s great for in vehicle use, just like its cousin Halon, it expels carbon dioxide and replaces oxygen. In a tightly enclosed space, one could suffocate. Though our trucks are quite drafty, and we’re only talking about small extinguishers, so this shouldn’t be an issue.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One type of extinguisher only. The last thing you want in an emergency is to be trying to remember what extinguisher does what.

OP
OP
T

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And we have a winner. JMHO but I love that Element to which you provided a link Rick. Seems to combine the best of all three (Rick, John, Ben) responses. I'll be putting them throughout the truck. Thank you all.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5LBS HR3 Halguard with quick disconnect flat mount in cab for somewhat easy access. In cab use or engine compartment.
5LBs ABC - I think Sodium Barcyrbonate - and shovel for brush, camping ETC.

D

Deleted member 12951

And we have a winner. JMHO but I love that Element to which you provided a link Rick. Seems to combine the best of all three (Rick, John, Ben) responses. I'll be putting them throughout the truck. Thank you all.
I know about the Element because one of our distributors sells them. Contact me at [email protected]. We have been a FRF vendor for 8+ years here

koly

Reaction score
Another +1 for the Element - replaced all my old canisters in my home/office/vehicles/fleet vehicles a while back with the Element.

(Still trying to find a way to get rid of all my old expired extinguishers).