Finished audio build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used one from SuperCrewSound.com.

It’s sturdy mdf and it’s sealed. The carpeting is average.

It absolutely gets the job done and for the money it’s great. My goal is to have Mobile Toys build me something sleek and LED infused at some point.

I will say it’s a perfect fit and the volume was a perfect match for what I needed for two 12s. The Alpine Type R thin aren’t cheap but they are very clean and hit pretty hard. When Dean Martin is crooning “Sway” out of my speakers at a volume setting of 20, it’ll bounce my phone right off the center console and it’ll shake the windows of the guy next to me.

Don’t even get me started on the smooth baritone cacophony that emits from that baby when Frankie Valli enters the picture.

I tried 2 different tweeters and 3 different door speakers before it was right. I had to go with a larger 35mm legend tweeter after the 28mm proved to be too bright and metallic for my musical tastes. Then I tried a 6.5 hertz mille pro that was clean but lacked mid bass despite my best efforts. In desperation I tried a hertz mille pro 6x9 coax 3 way that was a disaster. Muddy and didn’t help the cause. Finally I went with the hertz mille legend 6.5 driver in the front doors and it was as if Frank Sinatra personally approved of the move.

Can you give me specs on the under seat box you used. Any pics?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...

This has been a journey. I started out with the DIY under $500.00. Then as a project I wanted to tackle something a little more challenging and involved.

I also wanted to try out some different components along the way. We all know that Focal is tried and true and proven. Dom stands by Morel. Some folks like the American made Frogs.

Harking back to much roots... I went with Hertz. I figured what better way to listen to my Italian Crooners than on Italian speakers.

I tried a few different combinations of Hertz speakers before I got it right. I settled in on their Mille Legend line. Larger 35mm tweeters, 6.5” legend components in the front doors and Mille Pro Coax 6.5 two way in the rear doors. I rounded it out with dual 12” Alpine Type R thin subs mounted in an under seat enclosure.

It’s all powered by two JL amps. 1000 watts HD going to the subs and 800 watts for the doors and dash.

I used a slightly used Dsr1 from Dom and his old home made amp rack. I used some sound deadening tiles in the doors and wrapped the inside and outside door panels with dynamat. FAST rings and some merry adapters rounded it out.

I did have to pull an 0 gauge wire to the rear and set up a distribution block. I had to replace the stock alternator wires and upgraded the battery to stop voltage dips on big bass songs. I used fuse blocks as opposed to breakers.

I’d put this as a medium difficulty, higher end DIY build. I didn’t tally up all the costs, but I would guess it’s somewhere around 5,000.00.

So how does it sound? It sounds like very high end audio. It’s extremely clear without distortion and there is a nice centered sound stage. At very low listening volumes it’s a little short on bass with a properly set RTA but that is easily corrected by adjusting the “bass” slider on the head unit. Anything above volume level of 5 and the bass has to slide back to neutral to appreciate all the musical nuances.

Was it worth it? Only if you’re genuinely an audiophile and have an ear for it. Otherwise,probably not. Was it worth it for me? Absolutely! I enjoyed the project and the journey to get there as much or more than the final product.

And yes... it sounds better than anything I’ve ever heard from the factory, regardless of brand.

Totally doable project for a DIY under $6,000 crowd.

Glad it turned out like you hoped Guy!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
When Dean Martin is crooning “Sway” out of my speakers at a volume setting of 20, it’ll bounce my phone right off the center console and it’ll shake the windows of the guy next to me.

Respect.

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome. Can’t wait for my truck to show up to start my build. I’m still debating what mids I want to go with in the A-pillars. I think AF GB25’s will make the cut.
Any pics of the install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro