Finished audio build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...

This has been a journey. I started out with the DIY under $500.00. Then as a project I wanted to tackle something a little more challenging and involved.

I also wanted to try out some different components along the way. We all know that Focal is tried and true and proven. Dom stands by Morel. Some folks like the American made Frogs.

Harking back to much roots... I went with Hertz. I figured what better way to listen to my Italian Crooners than on Italian speakers.

I tried a few different combinations of Hertz speakers before I got it right. I settled in on their Mille Legend line. Larger 35mm tweeters, 6.5” legend components in the front doors and Mille Pro Coax 6.5 two way in the rear doors. I rounded it out with dual 12” Alpine Type R thin subs mounted in an under seat enclosure.

It’s all powered by two JL amps. 1000 watts HD going to the subs and 800 watts for the doors and dash.

I used a slightly used Dsr1 from Dom and his old home made amp rack. I used some sound deadening tiles in the doors and wrapped the inside and outside door panels with dynamat. FAST rings and some merry adapters rounded it out.

I did have to pull an 0 gauge wire to the rear and set up a distribution block. I had to replace the stock alternator wires and upgraded the battery to stop voltage dips on big bass songs. I used fuse blocks as opposed to breakers.

I’d put this as a medium difficulty, higher end DIY build. I didn’t tally up all the costs, but I would guess it’s somewhere around 5,000.00.

So how does it sound? It sounds like very high end audio. It’s extremely clear without distortion and there is a nice centered sound stage. At very low listening volumes it’s a little short on bass with a properly set RTA but that is easily corrected by adjusting the “bass” slider on the head unit. Anything above volume level of 5 and the bass has to slide back to neutral to appreciate all the musical nuances.

Was it worth it? Only if you’re genuinely an audiophile and have an ear for it. Otherwise,probably not. Was it worth it for me? Absolutely! I enjoyed the project and the journey to get there as much or more than the final product.

And yes... it sounds better than anything I’ve ever heard from the factory, regardless of brand.

Totally doable project for a DIY under $6,000 crowd.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the build! Is this...THE END?!?!? I kinda doubt it.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way! I’m the king of medium difficulty projects. Nothing too crazy though.

I try to give an honest shake on things though for folks who might be thinking they want to dive into the radio. If stock is 3/10 in quality... uograded speakers get you to a 6/10. What I built I’d say is about 8.5/10. If I go to a 3 way front stage, I think I can get a little more of that staging and separation to get a fuller sound, but I don’t know that I want to add 3 more grand for new a pillars, speakers, and crossover.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you, and there's a point of diminishing returns, especially when you're driving, putting people and things in the truck, etc.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like more than it is.

It’s just time consuming. It doesn’t require a ton of special tools or a lot of know-how.
In some respects I had to learn as I went.

I “finished” the build about 4 times until I got it right, and I still want to wrap some cloth wire loom in certain spots and such when I get time.

Medium difficulty? Bro that’s super advanced lol

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finishing it, sounds great, i think ill buy the items and have someone do it for me

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I used a slightly used Dsr1 from Dom and his old home made amp rack. I used some sound deadening tiles in the doors and wrapped the inside and outside door panels with dynamat. FAST rings and some merry adapters rounded it out.

I did have to pull an 0 gauge wire to the rear and set up a distribution block. I had to replace the stock alternator wires and upgraded the battery to stop voltage dips on big bass songs. I used fuse blocks as opposed to breakers.

Guy, how is the Sync 3 function?
do you have any issues with taking / receiving calls, bluetooth phone stuff, app integration like waze, etc.

it’s sounds kind almost off topic when I read it back but before I plan any more stuff I need to be sure I don’t lose, hinder or hamstring any of the current functions.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smurf,

Totally on topic and escaped my mind.

The Idatalink DSR1 works really well. Blue tooth calls are appropriate volume. Door chimes work. Beeps and whistles from the collision tech works. It’s pretty flawless. I can only find one bug. Once in a great while, if you are on a Bluetooth call and you decide to plug in to the usb wire for CarPlay during the call, the sound of the call will go MIA after plugging it in. Oddly enough pressing mute and unmute corrects it.

That’s really the only thing I’ve found. Everything else appears seamless like stock.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you give me specs on the under seat box you used. Any pics?