Finally: iOS 12 bringing native Waze integration to Apple CarPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you NOT use waze in carplay now? No matter what, it takes over the whole screen and i prefer it on my phone.

Aventador22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you NOT use waze in carplay now? No matter what, it takes over the whole screen and i prefer it on my phone.
Search CarPlay in your settings, click on Sync 3 and then press the minus sign on the waze app and it should take it off of CarPlay

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Did that. Still takes over my radio if I launch waze on my phone...

ok I think I get it. once you’re in car play, the iPhone home button is displayed in the screen on the bottom left. hit it and you’ll get a slightly more limited sync screen - you can’t use Ford navigation for example, but you can manipulate your radio channels, etc.

Now, to be sure we’re talking about the same thing - you enabled car play via the sync screen? Previously, waze only worked if you disabled CarPlay. With CarPlay enabled on the truck sync settings, you connect the phone and launch waze --from the phone-- and this happens, OR, you launch waze from the sync screen?

BTW, I got sync moved to the first screen now. Much better.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atleast its not as laggy now,
Im not getting the voice directions though

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok I think I get it. once you’re in car play, the iPhone home button is displayed in the screen on the bottom left. hit it and you’ll get a slightly more limited sync screen - you can’t use Ford navigation for example, but you can manipulate your radio channels, etc.

Now, to be sure we’re talking about the same thing - you enabled car play via the sync screen? Previously, waze only worked if you disabled CarPlay. With CarPlay enabled on the truck sync settings, you connect the phone and launch waze --from the phone-- and this happens, OR, you launch waze from the sync screen?

BTW, I got sync moved to the first screen now. Much better.
So, I've removed the Waze app from carplay - even so when I launch waze on my phone, carplay still takes over the radio screen. I only want Waze on my phone, not the head unit. There is no way around this apparently that I've found so I've had to disable carplay altogether.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I've removed the Waze app from carplay - even so when I launch waze on my phone, carplay still takes over the radio screen. I only want Waze on my phone, not the head unit. There is no way around this apparently that I've found so I've had to disable carplay altogether.
Its gotta be something in your settings. I have have Carplay active but it does not automatically display/connect. I can use Waze on my phone no problem by default on startup. Once I touch the Carplay icon on the screen then Carplay takes over and Waze is on the truck screen. Touch the Ford Sync logo and im back out and back to all phone.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its gotta be something in your settings. I have have Carplay active but it does not automatically display/connect. I can use Waze on my phone no problem by default on startup. Once I touch the Carplay icon on the screen then Carplay takes over and Waze is on the truck screen. Touch the Ford Sync logo and im back out and back to all phone.
Yeah, I don't want it that way. I want it to act exactly like it did BEFORE Monday when waze was added to carplay.

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't want it that way. I want it to act exactly like it did BEFORE Monday when waze was added to carplay.

#METOO

I just upgrade my iPhone and now Waze isn't displaying the map on my iPhone, it is displaying on the MFD (Truck screen) I definitely do NOT want that!. I'll try removing Waze from car play via Settings/General/Carplay/Sync 3 menu on my iPhone. Hope that works as I want the other carplay apps (Messages and Phone) as they work well.