Finally got to drive the Raptor on the beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Opinions on the airing down needed, I have a stock 19' SCREW and like many said there are advantages to the ride and suspension which I agree with when airing down. I am getting ready to head back down to OBX where we will be staying for a week 6 miles up the beach. Beach driving is pretty tame as there are STRICTLY enforced speed limits of 35 mph on empty beaches and 15 mph when within 300ft of anyone, the question is that I will be on and off the beach with the kids and wife shooting to the blacktop repeatedly throughout the week and I have no desire to constantly change the PSI. Traditionally I have set the tire at 26psi upon arrival and aired back up to 38psi front and 34 psi rear as I leave at the end of the week. Does that sound reasonable given the parameters? Thanks for the feedback on this and all the ongoing education

I’ve driven on those same beaches in OBX in my past 2 GMC 1/2 tons riding on just 33”s 275/60r20s & I only aired them down from like 42/40 to 28 all around & not sure I really had to although I’m sure it was easier on the transfer case.

I’m
Guessing you wouldn’t have to do anything to the raptor but airing down to 34 cold would be plenty IMO personally I carry an air compressor in all
My vehicles

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Opinions on the airing down needed, I have a stock 19' SCREW and like many said there are advantages to the ride and suspension which I agree with when airing down. I am getting ready to head back down to OBX where we will be staying for a week 6 miles up the beach. Beach driving is pretty tame as there are STRICTLY enforced speed limits of 35 mph on empty beaches and 15 mph when within 300ft of anyone, the question is that I will be on and off the beach with the kids and wife shooting to the blacktop repeatedly throughout the week and I have no desire to constantly change the PSI. Traditionally I have set the tire at 26psi upon arrival and aired back up to 38psi front and 34 psi rear as I leave at the end of the week. Does that sound reasonable given the parameters? Thanks for the feedback on this and all the ongoing education

That sounds very reasonable. Only been to OBX once and didn't do any beach driving. On Texas beaches I air down until leaning in with my knee puts a pretty good dent in the side of the tire, then go haul ass. Hit mid 70's, no issues. The fact that you're generally going in a straight line helps. Obviously, you don't want to do that on the highway, but driving on black top is fine, just avoid any emergency maneuvers and keep speed below 70. You're not gonna hurt anything.

MGA

Reaction score
Thanks guys, nice thing about where I am at is that the local real estate office has 6 or more high volume air pumps about 1 mile off the beach so it is very convenient at the end of the week at 0 dark thirty to fill back up and hit the road! Greatly appreciate the advice and opinions!

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
I'll have mine on Carolina Beach this weekend at 40 PSI in the KM3s, and will give you guys a report on how they did. Luckily, there is a car wash nearby to wash off the sand and salt.
I go down to Fort Fisher to run down the beach looking for a good surf fishing spot quite often. I had no idea there was a car wash a Raptor would go through and have a under body wash. Could you pass on the location so I could wash some of the salt off. Where I live you can forget about a wash for a Raptor they don’t exist and even have signs on some stating no large truck.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pismo654EFD46-D995-4CB5-BD74-899B5B8E04AA.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F83D82C-0112-41C0-96B2-E8A52D04D7FE.jpeg
    7F83D82C-0112-41C0-96B2-E8A52D04D7FE.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 8E958CE7-5131-4AD2-9F5A-8CBDFEF933AB.jpeg
    8E958CE7-5131-4AD2-9F5A-8CBDFEF933AB.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 3765A01F-070F-4887-BD5E-703F4BF59C80.jpeg
    3765A01F-070F-4887-BD5E-703F4BF59C80.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 14

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
I could definitely have some fun at Pismo. Thanks for the pictures probably the only way i will know what it looks like. We don’t have beachs like that here in NC.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they keep threatening to close pismo
because of COVID I haven’t been since 2019
for 5 bucks you can play all day beach and dunes
5 bucks more camp overnight
you know you’re in heaven when the ohv has a
“sand highway”
air down to around 15 psi on beach and dunes
or sand paddles, flag in dunes

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
I have found the Fluid film on Amazon and Yamaha silicone spray and lubrican. Definitely the Fluid film is cheaper than the Yamaha spray. I don’t mind paying extra for a product if it is better. Does the Yamaha product also leave a slight yellow look also.