Finally got to drive the Raptor on the beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to make a habit out of that I'd HIGHLY recommend doing a thorough treatment/application of Amsoil HDMP on your entire undercarriage/springs/axles/diff etc. if you haven't already.

The salt air/water/sand will oxidize/eat metal @ a pretty quick rate left untreated.

I used to vacation down there yearly until my mom bought a beach house on the cape, have run my GM trucks on the beach quite a bit - on those I treated yearly w/ Daubert chemical co. NOx rust frame coating (same GM uses from factory) - but I live in MA so salt in the winter is already a concern. I do recall seeing some REALLY chewed up trucks/jeeps playing on the beach down there as a result of the salt water, also - I personally have seen 3 vehicles over 7 years going down there get stuck & caught in high tide falling victim to the the ocean like that clip, & rescued a couple in a jeep liberty the last year I was there, if I didn't see them & have a tow recovery strap in my truck they would've lost their vehicle tide coming in too fast wouldn't have had time to even go back 10-15 mins to get a strap!!

On my '15 GMC Sierra 6.2 I ran 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers & I would air them down to like 25 psi (normally I ran 42), on the Raptor probably would air down as well, but w/ the width of the stock setup I agree its not as critical, but it isn't going to hurt either.

North Beach in Orleans and Chatham ate up my 1996 Bronco pretty fast. It went from being a nice truck to a rust bucket in about 4 seasons.

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
If you're going to make a habit out of that I'd HIGHLY recommend doing a thorough treatment/application of Amsoil HDMP on your entire undercarriage/springs/axles/diff etc. if you haven't already.

The salt air/water/sand will oxidize/eat metal @ a pretty quick rate left untreated.

I used to vacation down there yearly until my mom bought a beach house on the cape, have run my GM trucks on the beach quite a bit - on those I treated yearly w/ Daubert chemical co. NOx rust frame coating (same GM uses from factory) - but I live in MA so salt in the winter is already a concern. I do recall seeing some REALLY chewed up trucks/jeeps playing on the beach down there as a result of the salt water, also - I personally have seen 3 vehicles over 7 years going down there get stuck & caught in high tide falling victim to the the ocean like that clip, & rescued a couple in a jeep liberty the last year I was there, if I didn't see them & have a tow recovery strap in my truck they would've lost their vehicle tide coming in too fast wouldn't have had time to even go back 10-15 mins to get a strap!!

On my '15 GMC Sierra 6.2 I ran 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers & I would air them down to like 25 psi (normally I ran 42), on the Raptor probably would air down as well, but w/ the width of the stock setup I agree its not as critical, but it isn't going to hurt either.

I usually just pressure wash the under carriage when I get home. Does this come in a spray can, I would think quiet a few cans is involved to spray everything down.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I usually just pressure wash the under carriage when I get home. Does this come in a spray can, I would think quiet a few cans is involved to spray everything down.

Pressure wash can help....or hurt worse sloshing salt into much harder to reach (& thus much harder to treat/clean) nooks & crannies of your frame/undercarriage etc. Saw a guy drop his spare in OBX & the steel wheel was literally disintegrated & unusable & the mechanism to raise it back up was so corroded he just cut it off lol

Yeah it took a good 5-6 cans to really get a good base coat I was happy w/ & then I'll touch it up in the dry part of summer/early fall 1-2 can touchup, I also sprayed the axle/diff/yolk/U-bolts/leafs etc. anything that looked like it initially had a black coat got one since I have seen alot of Ford trucks completely rusted out w/ zero miles lol

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
Pressure wash can help....or hurt worse sloshing salt into much harder to reach (& thus much harder to treat/clean) nooks & crannies of your frame/undercarriage etc. Saw a guy drop his spare in OBX & the steel wheel was literally disintegrated & unusable & the mechanism to raise it back up was so corroded he just cut it off lol

Yeah it took a good 5-6 cans to really get a good base coat I was happy w/ & then I'll touch it up in the dry part of summer/early fall 1-2 can touchup, I also sprayed the axle/diff/yolk/U-bolts/leafs etc. anything that looked like it initially had a black coat got one since I have seen alot of Ford trucks completely rusted out w/ zero miles lol

Just so I know what I’m doing and being the first time what all do you spray. Drop the skid plates I’m guessing is needed to treat anything under them. Appreciate the info and help.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just so I know what I’m doing and being the first time what all do you spray. Drop the skid plates I’m guessing is needed to treat anything under them. Appreciate the info and help.

i used amsoil HDMP on most of the undercarriage/frame, Yamashield (formlery boeshield T9) by Yamaha on AL suspension components & throughout engine bay from the top (bottom up it got the amsoil for ext. Protection buts the HDMP will tiny bare AL a yellow color just FYI)

on the few parts I pain Ye s first just used rustoleum HD rust inhibitor semi gloss black rattle can 2 coats

MGA

Reaction score
Opinions on the airing down needed, I have a stock 19' SCREW and like many said there are advantages to the ride and suspension which I agree with when airing down. I am getting ready to head back down to OBX where we will be staying for a week 6 miles up the beach. Beach driving is pretty tame as there are STRICTLY enforced speed limits of 35 mph on empty beaches and 15 mph when within 300ft of anyone, the question is that I will be on and off the beach with the kids and wife shooting to the blacktop repeatedly throughout the week and I have no desire to constantly change the PSI. Traditionally I have set the tire at 26psi upon arrival and aired back up to 38psi front and 34 psi rear as I leave at the end of the week. Does that sound reasonable given the parameters? Thanks for the feedback on this and all the ongoing education