Finally got to drive the Raptor on the beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I finally got some quality time on sand in the Raptor, in OBX. No surprises, she did perfectly.

raptorprivilege.jpg

It was a great time, ended up with about a bucket of sand in the bed, bought a decent viair portable compressor to replace the woefully underpowered slime compressor. it’s rated for 33” tires, and went from 24psi to 36 in about 7 minutes, give or take. Not excellent, but acceptable. Honestly, I had a harder time airing down.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt you would need to air down at all with a Raptor and KO2s. I don't air down at all with the Raptor, and I run on Carolina Beach about twice a year. Only time I did is in a '14 Fx4 with 20 inch OEM tires, which suck in sand.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If you want to haul ass, you gotta air down, simply for comfort. I doubt getting stuck would be an issue either way.

I took my 14 y.o. and his buddy down the Padre National Seashore and let them take turns cruising at 50-70 MPH. If you're just cruising from the condo over to the umbrella area, yeah, street pressure is fine.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Regardless of what PSI you run, just make sure you are not this guy: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwsfptZBWAJ/

Message received and understood.

If you want to haul ass, you gotta air down, simply for comfort. I doubt getting stuck would be an issue either way.

I took my 14 y.o. and his buddy down the Padre National Seashore and let them take turns cruising at 50-70 MPH. If you're just cruising from the condo over to the umbrella area, yeah, street pressure is fine.

I wanted to get some time at street pressures to compare but didn’t get the chance and I did not want to be “that guy”. In fact, I did see a local drive right on out without airing down, and he seemed to do just fine. He didn’t appear to be running low pressure, but that’s tough to judge from afar...

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're going to make a habit out of that I'd HIGHLY recommend doing a thorough treatment/application of Amsoil HDMP on your entire undercarriage/springs/axles/diff etc. if you haven't already.

The salt air/water/sand will oxidize/eat metal @ a pretty quick rate left untreated.

I used to vacation down there yearly until my mom bought a beach house on the cape, have run my GM trucks on the beach quite a bit - on those I treated yearly w/ Daubert chemical co. NOx rust frame coating (same GM uses from factory) - but I live in MA so salt in the winter is already a concern. I do recall seeing some REALLY chewed up trucks/jeeps playing on the beach down there as a result of the salt water, also - I personally have seen 3 vehicles over 7 years going down there get stuck & caught in high tide falling victim to the the ocean like that clip, & rescued a couple in a jeep liberty the last year I was there, if I didn't see them & have a tow recovery strap in my truck they would've lost their vehicle tide coming in too fast wouldn't have had time to even go back 10-15 mins to get a strap!!

On my '15 GMC Sierra 6.2 I ran 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers & I would air them down to like 25 psi (normally I ran 42), on the Raptor probably would air down as well, but w/ the width of the stock setup I agree its not as critical, but it isn't going to hurt either.

Mark J

Reaction score
Glad to hear it and good info on the air down. I'm planning a camping/fishing trip late October/November to surf fish Hatteras and Okrakoke. Excited to get my truck in some sand.