FINALLY got a TRUE, removable towing solution..(see pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GM3SF

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@GM3SF were you in spicewood TX last weekend? i saw an avalanche 2017 pulling an airstream, but it didn't have any kayaks on board. looked awesome.

Hey sorry for the delayed response.

Wasn’t me. We sold the airstream and started a 4wd sprinter van build so likely won’t be towing any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, this is a really old thread that keeps on going! I remember reading the entire thread several years ago and I was really impressed with the quality. I did not want to drive to SoCal, so I never followed up on it, but it is good to hear it is still an option. ;)

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sure but there are welders everywhere, has this changed?

From what I recall, they spent a lot of time perfecting the setup and he would not sell you just the parts / instructions for someone else to do it in your own city. The OP was very careful about letting out too much information to avoid copycats, but things might be different now.

juice

Reaction score
From what I recall, they spent a lot of time perfecting the setup and he would not sell you just the parts / instructions for someone else to do it in your own city. The OP was very careful about letting out too much information to avoid copycats, but things might be different now.
That’s what NDA is for ;)

OP
OP
GM3SF

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Wow, this is a really old thread that keeps on going! I remember reading the entire thread several years ago and I was really impressed with the quality. I did not want to drive to SoCal, so I never followed up on it, but it is good to hear it is still an option. ;)

Yeah he'll still do it. Totally worth it if you ask me

Sure but there are welders everywhere, has this changed?

No, there are still welders everywhere ;-) If you can find one that has expertises in Offroad racing and suspension maybe they can do it?

Thaty's correct. I know I wouldn't want someone taking all the time I invested in figuring something out only just hand it over to someone else

That’s what NDA is for ;)

Well, if I had signed an NDA, then yes that's what it would be for.

Reaction score
My first post, but thought I would chime in on the thread. Another success story here.

I purchased a Raptor to get me closer to the back country for technical hiking and adventure. Furthermore, I needed a truck for pulling my camp trailer. I didn't do my research before my purchase, as I quickly realized the truck was poor at pulling trailers. The suspension and design was more for off road vs. towing. Stock, I lost > 4" on a 820 lb. tongue weight. In addition, I hit the bumps continually while loaded. In essence, it didn't work.

r1.jpg

I then explored the various options. I spent hours researching. I was not happy with anything I found, as I didn't want to loose 1-2" with an airbag kit for example. Then I came across this thread...

I was able to get with Izzy in California to install the kit. You are looking > $3k for install, the nitrogen fill kit and tank. When I put the shocks in at 280 psi I drop about 1" now as compared to 4" without, at 820 lb. tongue weight. At 400 psi, perhaps a 1/4" drop. I take the shocks out most of the time to leave the truck as "stock". I happily put them in when hauling heavy loads.

Best upgrade...well the only upgrade, I've made. Given how much I spent on this truck for all the capabilities, it was worth the extra investment. At least for me.

r2.jpg