FINALLY got a TRUE, removable towing solution..(see pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And the ride is superior in every way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the RPG bump stops with 4" extensions ride superior while towing? I am willing to give them a try, but I am looking for feedback from others who have done it.

Memphis Ken

Reaction score
Those are some awesome pics, thanks for sharing! I am interested in towing with mine as well and appreciate the information.

I feel like those pics you shared should be in a magazine somewhere, very cool!

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here to show my ignorance about shocks...

Could you not gain the same effect (stiffen the rear while towing to avoid sag yet air it down to keep supple when off-road) by replacing the normal shocks with adjustable ones?

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the RPG bump stops with 4" extensions ride superior while towing? I am willing to give them a try, but I am looking for feedback from others who have done it.

I mean the HD deavers and whatever bump kit you decide will ride and handle better than the additional shocks offered with this kit.

Take a look at the SVC bump kit and Fox ifp bump shocks and how you can adjust the can holding the shock in place if you still need more than whatever deaver springs you go with. Deaver can make the spring pack to whatever you desire.

sobiloff

Reaction score
I'm scheduled to have the RPG folks install their Stage 3 rear suspension kit on my '17 SCREW in a couple weeks, right before I pick up my new travel trailer at the Pomona show. The trailer's 4,700 pounds dry, so probably 5,500 pounds full of water and junk, which leads to a 550 pound tongue weight. I also want to be able to put a couple of dirt bikes in the bed of the truck, so that's another 500 pounds out of the 1200-pound payload, and the wife + I together ain't 150 pounds!

RPG's suggesting custom Deavers to handle the weight, and I agreed with them until I ran across this thread. Now I'm thinking of going with the +2 Deavers (since I only load the bikes and hitch up the trailer on the weekends—otherwise it's my daily driver) to improve the rear end when daily driving, but getting Izzy's air shocks to handle the bikes + trailer on the weekends.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

trophycummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have deaver + 3's in my truck. I tow a toy hauler with a 800lbs tongue weight with it while using a blue ox sway pro hitch. No issues here. I never even get close to my hydro bumps.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to have the RPG folks install their Stage 3 rear suspension kit on my '17 SCREW in a couple weeks, right before I pick up my new travel trailer at the Pomona show. The trailer's 4,700 pounds dry, so probably 5,500 pounds full of water and junk, which leads to a 550 pound tongue weight. I also want to be able to put a couple of dirt bikes in the bed of the truck, so that's another 500 pounds out of the 1200-pound payload, and the wife + I together ain't 150 pounds!

RPG's suggesting custom Deavers to handle the weight, and I agreed with them until I ran across this thread. Now I'm thinking of going with the +2 Deavers (since I only load the bikes and hitch up the trailer on the weekends—otherwise it's my daily driver) to improve the rear end when daily driving, but getting Izzy's air shocks to handle the bikes + trailer on the weekends.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

I think the whole point of the setup featured in this thread is that you have the option to have an improved tow setup as well as retaining the ability to go completely stock relatively easily. For someone who is towing to the desert to then run dunes, like the OP, it’s the best solution. Any Deavers or anything else will compromise the ride when unloaded, but it’s going to depend on who are you whether it’s that big a deal.

swanstreaming

Reaction score
I think the whole point of the setup featured in this thread is that you have the option to have an improved tow setup as well as retaining the ability to go completely stock relatively easily. For someone who is towing to the desert to then run dunes, like the OP, it’s the best solution. Any Deavers or anything else will compromise the ride when unloaded, but it’s going to depend on who are you whether it’s that big a deal.

The original poster did add Deavers after doing this, too. :)

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original poster did add Deavers after doing this, too. :)

Maybe so but then he’s got Deavers and adjustable assist shocks and you have Deavers and adjustable bump stops. Both cost a lot and I think the OP solution has more advantages. It seemed like you were saying you could get away with just Deavers and I don’t see how that’s possible. It’s going to raise the back end up and make the unloaded ride crap. Right?

swanstreaming

Reaction score
Maybe so but then he’s got Deavers and adjustable assist shocks and you have Deavers and adjustable bump stops. Both cost a lot and I think the OP solution has more advantages. It seemed like you were saying you could get away with just Deavers and I don’t see how that’s possible. It’s going to raise the back end up and make the unloaded ride crap. Right?

I didn’t say you could get away with just Deavers, since I am one of the guys who got the extra shocks as shown in this post. :) But yeah, other people have said as much. I have a 950lb tongue weight to deal with. The extra shocks seemed a better solution to me. I may get the Deavers, too, as the OP and everyone else has told me how much they improve the ride—even when not towing.