Finally Finished Stereo Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobraman044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I want to thank all those that contributed to this forum on this subject. Made the project pretty easy. But it was very time consuming. Everything took place over about 4 days.

Components I used
Focal PS 165FX
Focal PC 165F
JL Audio 10tw3-d4 (made my own sub box)
NavTV ZEN-A2B
JL Audio VX1000/5i

One interesting note is the optical output from the NavTv is very low. You really have to crank it up in the JL DSP for an acceptable audio level. When I mean low I mean very low. When it was set for 0db and the volume all the way up it was barely audible.

View media item 14641View media item 14640

OP
OP
Cobraman044

Cobraman044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you have some of those measurements handy.

I posted pics with the measurements in my album as well as the ideal performance curve. Since this is such an odd shape only testing will tell how it performs. With only .29 cu.ft. it is pretty small. Really I just threw the sub together for testing but after investing all this time I did not want to redo it yet. After tuning is finished will determine what I will do next.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was able to get .75 x 2 going under the seat. That's the main reason against behind the seat. With woofers, there is no replacement for displacement. Too little box volume hinders the woofers ability to play low tones. It will make you have killer mid bass. Plenty of calculators on line showing the trade offs.

OP
OP
Cobraman044

Cobraman044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get .75 x 2 going under the seat. That's the main reason against behind the seat. With woofers, there is no replacement for displacement. Too little box volume hinders the woofers ability to play low tones. It will make you have killer mid bass. Plenty of calculators on line showing the trade offs.

While I agree to for the most part about space. (the same saying for drag racing. lol) In the end a car is not a idea listening room in the first place for low frequencies. That is the reason for all the wattage to drive sub woofers. For example a 30hz frequency is 37ft long to fully extend. 1/3 wave is aprrox 12ft. That was the reason folded horn speakers were developed way back when. I have not kept up on all this theory stuff and a lot can be compensated for with electronics now as opposed to 30 years ago. I am curious how this will end up after I start using the RTA. All I know just setting the speaker distances and leaving everything flat it sounds 100% better. I will keep you posted or if you have any other suggestions for tuning please let me know.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great...Nice job on the box. I had to pay to get mine built behind the seat like that. Those subs sound amazing and are purpose built for exactly the way you installed them. Being able to have amazing base AND without sacrificing your floor space is a total win/win. Good job.