Finally decided to lift the Raptor! Need help deciding....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's your truck and you can do whatever you want to it, if you want to retain speed offroad you are going to be better off leaving the suspension geometry alone. If you don't intend on beating on the truck offroad then a good quality lift kit will be fine but any lift that "reuses factory components to retain factory ride" means you are going to have lift spacers above the front coilovers and blocks between the rear axle and the leaf springs unless you spend to get taller leaf springs. I personally doubt that you are going to find a lift that will get you a longer rear shock that is the same overall quality as the factory rears without spending quite a bit more than you're expecting so I'd be ready for that to affect how the rear end of the truck rides.

A lot of posts here have mentioned that the upper control arm angle on trucks like mine is "worse" than their lifted raptor and I can tell you now that a vehicle that has stock arms and different pre-load on the front is just sitting in a different neutral position in the factory travel i.e. more up travel with less droop while under no load but when the vehicle is moving and the suspension is live and cycling, all of the geometry Ford designed is exactly the same and all that has changed is spring rates and damping rates.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect most respondents who have lifted trucks report how great everything is...in the short term. How about some years and significant mileage later. How's the driveline u-joints holding up? How about the ball joints, tire wear since cornering with higher vehicle mass weight. Maybe had to up the tire pressure to compensate, and now the truck rides rougher/stiffer. Stretched brake lines still good? Anyone towing something of significance. How's that been affected? Had to buy a different hitch, make the trailer pigtail wire longer? How's working under the hood going? Had to buy a step ladder or are you already 6'6". How about the reduced gas mileage from higher wind resistance. Wasn't a big deal a few years ago, but it is now with $4 gas.

Last edited: