Finally a good use for the skinny tray between the shifter and the cup holders.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about a SAW in the bed, on a vertical telescoping mount!

Or is this to Mideast Taco truck style?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What about a SAW in the bed, on a vertical telescoping mount!

Or is this to Mideast Taco truck style?

The telescoping mount and cradle is about $8500 without electronics. Also, the SAW isn’t really a good choice for this, M240/M60/1919 would be a far better choice, as you get about 300m more effective range, and increased energy all the way out to max range. I’m a little uneasy about running this without some kind of charge safety; IOW, I don’t want a loaded machine gun chambered and I don’t want chambering until the cab height is cleared and T&E locked so the cab can’t be stitched.

The “dumb” pedestal mount is about 350, and the best option I could figure would be a steel plate sharing bed bolt mounts, with manual T&E.

Swing arm is about $800 and you need a socket to run it, so you need a mount or something to weld a socket too.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha, certainly good points to mention. Better choice of weapons systems too.

The telescoping mount and cradle is about $8500 without electronics. Also, the SAW isn’t really a good choice for this, M240/M60/1919 would be a far better choice, as you get about 300m more effective range, and increased energy all the way out to max range. I’m a little uneasy about running this without some kind of charge safety; IOW, I don’t want a loaded machine gun chambered and I don’t want chambering until the cab height is cleared and T&E locked so the cab can’t be stitched.

The “dumb” pedestal mount is about 350, and the best option I could figure would be a steel plate sharing bed bolt mounts, with manual T&E.

Swing arm is about $800 and you need a socket to run it, so you need a mount or something to weld a socket too.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I haven't priced it out but I was thinking more along the lines of a GAU-17/A or GAU-19/B; pedestal mount w/ mechanical stops to avoid the cab. Requires a tailgunner though but whether it's my dad, my son, my brother, or my nephews... I know I wouldn't have a hard time getting volunteers to either drive or fire. :biggun:

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I haven't priced it out but I was thinking more along the lines of a GAU-17/A or GAU-19/B; pedestal mount w/ mechanical stops to avoid the cab. Requires a tailgunner though but whether it's my dad, my son, my brother, or my nephews... I know I wouldn't have a hard time getting volunteers to either drive or fire. :biggun:

Impressive for sure, same as a .50 BMG. For the mini gun or multi barrel setup there’s the problem of the mount and space required, as well as the added payload for the ammo. Unless you don’t mind being done shooting in 15 seconds. Slightly different for the bmg; you have a gun that’s 3-4 times heavier and ammo is orders of magnitude heavier. Probably the sweet spot would be a twin .30, but frankly a single .30 GPMG is plenty for an urban technical. Now, if you’re dropping into Somalia, ok, give me a .50 a bed full of linked ammo, I don’t care if it ruins the shocks and fully compresses the suspension, I’ve got bigger worries.

With a single .30 you can still carry ~4800 rounds of ammo within payload - maybe an even 5,000 if you’re not too big into krispy kremes. A 250 round belt lasts you about 21-24 seconds on a full belt dump, much longer on disciplined burst fire. also, if you have designs on linking several belts together, it’s not worth it (for recreation anyway) At somewhere around 350 - 500 rounds, the barrel heats and expands to the point that the rifling is no longer affecting the projectiles and they tumble end over end right out of the barrel.

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressive for sure, same as a .50 BMG. For the mini gun or multi barrel setup there’s the problem of the mount and space required, as well as the added payload for the ammo. Unless you don’t mind being done shooting in 15 seconds. Slightly different for the bmg; you have a gun that’s 3-4 times heavier and ammo is orders of magnitude heavier. Probably the sweet spot would be a twin .30, but frankly a single .30 GPMG is plenty for an urban technical. Now, if you’re dropping into Somalia, ok, give me a .50 a bed full of linked ammo, I don’t care if it ruins the shocks and fully compresses the suspension, I’ve got bigger worries.

With a single .30 you can still carry ~4800 rounds of ammo within payload - maybe an even 5,000 if you’re not too big into krispy kremes. A 250 round belt lasts you about 21-24 seconds on a full belt dump, much longer on disciplined burst fire. also, if you have designs on linking several belts together, it’s not worth it (for recreation anyway) At somewhere around 350 - 500 rounds, the barrel heats and expands to the point that the rifling is no longer affecting the projectiles and they tumble end over end right out of the barrel.

:worship: I never checked into the numbers. Good to know. Didn't have to worry about payload and such on the ship, she was built for maximum capacity so we filled her up - and the drones I worked on only were outfitted with recon gear. Legit though, me and my dad have been toying with the idea of putting a deck plate behind the seat of the sand rail and putting in a standing mounted .50... I'll keep you informed if we even get that done.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
me and my dad have been toying with the idea of putting a deck plate behind the seat of the sand rail and putting in a standing mounted .50... I'll keep you informed if we even get that done.

DO IT ! I have pic somewhere of a guy who pedestal mounted a M2 in the back of a large ATV, it was a hoot!

Probably the best I’ve seen for a good shoot platform is a surplus’d 5 ton, 2x pedestal mounts for 2 shooters, bed full of stuff, chairs, cooler, recliner, partial cover for shade. All he had to do was drive up to the line, back in, hop into the bed and start firing away.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
:worship: I never checked into the numbers. Good to know. Didn't have to worry about payload and such on the ship, she was built for maximum capacity so we filled her up - and the drones I worked on only were outfitted with recon gear. Legit though, me and my dad have been toying with the idea of putting a deck plate behind the seat of the sand rail and putting in a standing mounted .50... I'll keep you informed if we even get that done.
We had this in the 80's FAV's. 1*oeser8dAn0hHPqifgjQJxw.jpg