Finally, a dream come true. 2018 Raptor w/802A package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor_P

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Dion. To say that I am happy to finally own my dream truck is an understatement. I am blessed and extremely grateful/happy to finally own my own Gen2 Ford Raptor. Ever since the Raptor was released back in 2010 I knew it was the truck I wanted to own. But as most of us know, life happens, kids happen and sometimes we have to put those things aside. I had to settle for a couple of SUVs over the last 10 years. Had twins in 2015 so I had to put the dream on hold a little longer. Well, they are now finally old enough to climb in and out by themselves and my family's economic situation is the best its ever been and to me it was finally time to make that dream happen. The truck is in pristine condition inside and out (as far as I can tell/hear) with only 33K miles. Now unto a couple of thoughts/concerns. People like ourselves that buy trucks like these are not too overly concerned with fuel costs (otherwise we would have bought a Prius). I know that running higher octane fuel will give you better performance out of the truck, besides that, what are the drawbacks to using 89 or 87 octane fuel? Secondly, I've been looking around this forum for a few days, and have seen quite a few posts regarding these infamous cam phasers. I've read that it usually sounds like a rattling noise on cold starts, but that the turbos will also make this rattling noise on cold starts. I can hear this rattling noise on cold stars but it usually subsides pretty quickly after about 20-30 seconds. When should I be concerned regarding this rattling noise? The truck still has 2K miles left on the bumper to bumper so I am wondering if I should take it to my local Ford dealership to have that looked at. What do ya'll think. I don't think I've been this happy since the birth of my twins.

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on a beautiful Raptor. Great looking color. Problem is while on shift, your going to have a lot of time to stare at it lol

Sounds like you may have some waste gate rattle on cold starts. That’s fairly normal and nothing to worry about. You will know if you have phaser issues on a cold start, it will sound like a diesel meets an exhaust less Prius lol. Yeah if your in warranty just drive it and be happy. Chances are you may not even suffer from phaser issues. You can probably get the update at your dealer however and prevent problems as well.

Enjoy it

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recently joined the raptor community myself. My dad had a 2020 802A race red. unfortunately life happened. He passed away we don’t know why only 55 perfect health. it was his dream truck so I took it and continuing the build, life can always change your plans congrats my friend!
Inspirational brother! Enjoy that truck as well. Your in it for two.

EccentricRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! :D Sharp ride with the decals on the hood!!

Yeah, the CAM phaser issue is under extended warranty, take it in and have them check it out. Not a vehicle I'd sweep little stuff under the rug with. Piece of mind is pretty powerful and small issues can become bigger/expensive issues. But, the CAM phaser issue should be covered by the extended warranty/recall thing.

I put the 87 gasoline in my Raptor for a while and when I tried the 92 gasoline, it was a different vehicle - I ain't going back. Engine/exhaust sounds better, engine performance wasn't annoyingly lethargic, and oddly enough the transmission shifts better because it builds the RPM up more before shifting.