fender flares oxidating flaking finish ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
They ended the "Built Ford Tough" campaign some time ago it seems.

Yeah, right along with the “Quality is job 1” slogan from the early 1990s.

At least Ford still builds a significant range of (Ford) Performance vehicles

Swamper

Reaction score
My 2014 and my 2019 both had the finish deteriorate on the fender flares. Dealer has tried to say that I must have caused it with some chemical exposure which is not true.

alexhartang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Might wait until Ford recognizes and issues a recall or allows color match as a warranty option, no point in replacing them with the same crap that will just flake again and again

OP
OP
c4sxm5

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Might wait until Ford recognizes and issues a recall or allows color match as a warranty option, no point in replacing them with the same crap that will just flake again and again
Wouldn't owners have to complain for a recall to occur? I wonder how many gen 3 owners are having this issue and either leave it alone or pay out of pocket.

alexhartang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't owners have to complain for a recall to occur? I wonder how many gen 3 owners are having this issue and either leave it alone or pay out of pocket.
Oh I called the dealership and they said to bring it in and they’d replace it. I asked if it would simply be replaced with the same pair of poor quality flares and they said yes. Now I imagine this is different dealer to dealer, but mine was willing to send a complaint up the chain to Ford to let them know. Not sure if all would do that for a customer without changing the flares out.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I called the dealership and they said to bring it in and they’d replace it. I asked if it would simply be replaced with the same pair of poor quality flares and they said yes. Now I imagine this is different dealer to dealer, but mine was willing to send a complaint up the chain to Ford to let them know. Not sure if all would do that for a customer without changing the flares out.
have you considered that there may have been a bad batch initially just like they had issues with the finish on the bronco hard tops? may as well get them replaced when you take it in for an oil change/whatever...

alexhartang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you considered that there may have been a bad batch initially just like they had issues with the finish on the bronco hard tops? may as well get them replaced when you take it in for an oil change/whatever...
That’s a solid point.

OP
OP
c4sxm5

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took the truck in and my SA took some pictures and said they'll call me when the part comes on all under warranty