fender flares oxidating flaking finish ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
c4sxm5

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
worst case.... plasti-dip with their Anthracite color. It is identical to the factory finish.
Done this on a gen 2 and they get sticky in the heat. When you wipe them with a cloth seems to leave lint on them.

OP
OP
c4sxm5

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just waiting to get this fixed under warranty. Fixing the end of the month.
Did you dealer already agree to replace under warranty? If so was it a goodwill repair or an actual approved ford claim?

natron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you dealer already agree to replace under warranty? If so was it a goodwill repair or an actual approved ford claim?
They are going to repair. Not sure if it was goodwill or an actual ford approved ford claim. I do know he sent Ford pictures of the fender with the paint coming off.

BSM

Reaction score
This is also happening on my 21 Gen3. It’s the rear drivers side below the fuel cap, I thought it might be from small amounts of gas dripping onto the flare following a fill. Regardless looks like shit on a new truck.

Last edited:

bmarco

Reaction score
I've never done anything to protect the flares on my Gen2; assumed the color was molded in. No problems so far. Anyone got a recommendation for maintaining them ? Wax like the body ? 303 Protectant ?

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at replacing one on my 2020. No problems with peeling now just damage. Don't want to put on one that peels. Anybody have any idea if service replacement ones out of the parts chain are having problems?

Ron's Rap

Reaction score
Not sure about the quality of service replaced parts, however I just replaced one on my 2017
about 2 weeks ago. It was due to rock damage. Cost $500. That's just price plus shipping. Dealer installed for free. Right side rear. I haven't seen any peeling on any of mine so far. The one I replaced is in perfect condition with exception of the area where the rock damage occurred.

Attachments

• 20220620_135451.jpg
    20220620_135451.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 44

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added Xpel stealth film on mine, looks great and offers protection, but if the film is ever removed I am sure the paint with come off with it.