Favorite Tonneau Cover

What’s your favorite tonneau cover?

• Diamondback

• Backflip Style/Leer/Folding

• Tuxedo Soft Roll/Roll up design

• Retax or similar rebranded

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgfoust

Reaction score
You need to read your door jamb sticker. 1400lb in the bed will darn near have the hitch dragging and leaving a spark trail. 1400 includes passengers and there's a weight limit for each axle.
1647557656878.png

So this is from Ford's site. So them saying the capacity in the bed is 1400 pounds. Or is this max with passengers?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 346746

So this is from Ford's site. So them saying the capacity in the bed is 1400 pounds. Or is this max with passengers?
Maximum payload includes everything that isn't truck. That includes passengers, dogs, lunch, whatever. It also assumes that you have a stripper truck, ie no moonroof, no power tailgate, no step, nothing heavy. The sticker on the door jamb gives the actual payload for your specific truck based on the options and also specifies a maximum load for each axle.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a (lousy) shot of the American Roll Cover canister. You can see it fully clears the cleat.

Attachments

• IMG_4564 2.jpeg
    IMG_4564 2.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 106

RaptorRnr

Reaction score
I have the RetraxPRO XR on my Raptor. The unit was on my two previous F-150s (2015 and 2017), now my 2020 Raptor. I upgraded from the MX to the XR so that I could use the integrated Yakima OverHaul HD slide in rack. Retrax sold me just the rails so that I didn't have to replace the roller.
Pros:
- Slides to any position - great for pinching plywood/2x4s or other items in the bed
- Locks (although it can be forced open when locked)
Cons:
- The bin takes up about 11-inches of bed space
- Occasionally doesn't roll correctly, if I reinstall it out of alignment. Easily fixed though.
- Heavy two man job to remove it.
I remove it when I'm hauling dirt bikes in the bed. One one occasion I left the cover in and the front tire of the bike pushed the bin off of it's clamps. Fortunately, no damage was caused.

I have a BakFlip on my Superduty. On the 6 ¾ bed it is a quad fold. It's a Tri-fold on the Raptor.
Pros:
- Easily folds up to the first leaf or all the way up against the glass
- Relatively easy to remove
- when compared to the Retrax, doesn't use up bed space for the rollup bin
Cons:
- Doesn't fold to all four creases due to lacking latches on the third and fourth folds
- Doesn't offer Overhaul HD rack support (if you need that)
- Must be removed still when loading dirt bikes. The tires press against the 5-6 inch connection at the cab. It's easier to remove, but still a hassle. I was really looking forward to simply folding it all the way up and loading dirt bikes. I have to remove it each time I do that. I should use some sort of wood spacer to avoid removing it. Haven't had the time to build that project yet.

Each has it's benefits and disadvantages. Weigh what you need the space for and choose the right one for the job. There is another brand (forgetting the name) that offers a roll up solution that only uses 7-inches of bed space, not 11 like the Retrax. Dunno that it has the same quality as the Retrax.

eddy20

Reaction score
I have what I guess is the original BakFlip on my Gen 1 (2014), the vinyl cover has rotted away and is coming apart. It still works, but looks terrible. I called BakFlip and the customer service said sorry but if you buy another one of the new MX series they would give me a $79 discount. I said I can get a better price on the same cover on eBay and BakFlip said that's all they can do for me. I'll look else where when I get around to replacing the cover.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having seen the long term use of most every cover I would have a hard time buying anything except a diamond back.

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a (lousy) shot of the American Roll Cover canister. You can see it fully clears the cleat.
I had never even seen this cover until you mentioned it. It looks top notch. It is my first pick from the research that I've done so far. Any issues with it this far?

Admin.RealTruck

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like majority of the covers mentioned here are covers that we either own / carry.
Feel free to reach out to us anytime via PM or email as we also offer forum special pricing that cannot be beat as we own majority of these covers!
We also did a write up comparing many of the different styles of covers available that can be found at - https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/tonneau-cover-buying-guide.83129/#post-1620256

Last edited: