Faster steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caveguru

Reaction score
Ok, so I've searched and it sounds like there isn't a solution - does anyone know of a way to get a faster steering ratio on these things? I have an screw so I already have the faster rack. Apparently it's 16:1. I'm used to tracking my Subarus and I find the steering on this beast to be really slow. Maybe Ford makes a faster rack for the screws with the 8 foot bed, although I don't know if the Raptor steering is a beefed up version or the same as a standard F150 rack. Maybe someone knows of an offroad racing shop that makes faster racks?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Racemetal

Reaction score
I'm with you, Frank. I've noticed the same thing,... a lot of steering wheel travel for not a lot of turn. Getting used to it, but wish it was a MUCH faster ratio. I would buy a faster replacement rack in a heartbeat!!!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I'm used to tracking my Subarus and I find the steering on this beast to be really slow. Maybe someone knows of an offroad racing shop that makes faster racks?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Lol. It's a truck, not a Lesbaru. Big squishy tires, big ass bushings, etc.

Seriously though, it's pretty good for a truck.

Schizofilly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Subaru could fit in the bed. Pickups are notoriously top heavy and prone to roll over. You actually think amplifying the potential for problems is a good idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
some may scoff at the idea, but whatever, I think it is pretty interesting.

With the advent of the electric rack in the gen2s, having to swap the rack in my truck, and timing it, I'm a big fan of electric racks now. 20 mins to swap a rack and no bleeding, fluid and especially, no more requirement for a PS pump is awesome.

There is a company out there called EPAS performance. The sell a rack that would be a perfect fit for the raptor chassis.

The rack has adjustable assistance and ratio metrics. You can adjust in-cab via a dial.

If you didn't want to do a FULL rack swap, they also make a unit that is designed to mount inline in the middle of the steering shaft, that again you can manipulate assistance and ratio with via a dial in-cab.

I haven't tried one of these units yet. They are 2100 for the kit. I started doing research in the event that I am unable to map the BCM/TCM/ABS in my gen2 to a V8 swap that I'm planning. The EPAS perf unit will bolt right up to the factory crossmember and might be what I need to do. ( along with a full truck re-wire.)

All that being said, after I'm complete on my raptor, and I look towards my next build, I 100% plan to use an electric rack. ( this way i can run a second alternator on the accessory drive without complicating the accessory drive clearances.)

Might be something to research and consider.

If you just want a traditional fluid rack with a quicker ratio, call up howe and tell them what ratio you want. They'll tell you what to buy.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rack has adjustable assistance and ratio metrics. You can adjust in-cab via a dial.
Would you check that again....The steering ratio (lets say 16:1 usually gives you 4 turns lock to lock) is mechanically built into the rack where the power assist can be played with ... Funny part is for most set-ups simply switching to "faster" rack or steering box can get you a 12:1 ratio (now only 3 turns lock to lock) but everything else being equal will require more steering effort...

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Would you check that again....The steering ratio (lets say 16:1 usually gives you 4 turns lock to lock) is mechanically built into the rack where the power assist can be played with ... Funny part is for most set-ups simply switching to "faster" rack or steering box can get you a 12:1 ratio (now only 3 turns lock to lock) but everything else being equal will require more steering effort...

thats what the electric motor is for. voltage is variable, as is servo throw, trim, etc. It is variable electric assist.

So much so that you can also use hall sensors to create speed triggered variable assist rate.