FAS1 Compact Safe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted to go the DIY route for a console gun safe and just received my FAS1 Compact Handgun Safe today. I owned a different model FAS1 for many years now and have always been impressed by Glenn's products. They are all made of 3/16" steel plate (7 GA) on all sides with a welded 3/8" hinge pin which is mounted internally. They use a 5-button Simplex mechanical lock that can be opened on touch alone in 1 to 5 button pushes and a 1/4 knob turn. The safe door is then automatically opened by a gas strut, which presents the handgun for an easy draw.

I chose the Compact version after making some measurements and it fits the console perfectly with no interference when opening to 90 degrees. It still allows for use of the OEM tray as well. This size safe will handle compact (G19, P320) size guns with room for mags, or other items at the bottom. It uses a modular holster which can be configured to handle guns with lights. Although, my P320 with a 17 round mag, red dot and light would not fit, but a G19 with 17 round mag fit fine. I opted for the optional "In & Out" lock, so you can open the safe with a key and actually lock-out the Simplex lock if you chose. The "In & Out" lock can also be disabled completely. The thing is an absolute beast (shipping weight 24 pounds)! I plan to mount it using some toggle bolts through the bottom of the console. There are no pre-drilled holes, so you can choose how you mount the safe based on the application.

Here are some pics of the safe including some positioned in the console. The gun in the holster is a G26 to give you an idea of size. I don't think you will find a sturdier safe option out there.

Fast Action Safes (FAS) 1

5CD90915-A763-4C6F-AECB-0D013D9224DE_1_201_a.jpeg
F7B94707-7FF5-4E68-9CE8-57AEE43B1372_1_105_c.jpegE8B3F65D-9F8D-4EFE-9C1E-7A227DC9751A_1_105_c.jpeg
E216AD62-3DC1-4E0D-B6CF-7C51D2FC3D31_1_105_c.jpegCABC5871-3221-4602-B2CA-B6E9EBFA5739_1_105_c.jpeg

Spooky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good option! I might have to check one out whenever my '22 comes in.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted to go the DIY route for a console gun safe and just received my FAS1 Compact Handgun Safe today. I owned a different model FAS1 for many years now and have always been impressed by Glenn's products. They are all made of 3/16" steel plate (7 GA) on all sides with a welded 3/8" hinge pin which is mounted internally. They use a 5-button Simplex mechanical lock that can be opened on touch alone in 1 to 5 button pushes and a 1/4 knob turn. The safe door is then automatically opened by a gas strut, which presents the handgun for an easy draw.

I chose the Compact version after making some measurements and it fits the console perfectly with no interference when opening to 90 degrees. It still allows for use of the OEM tray as well. This size safe will handle compact (G19, P320) size guns with room for mags, or other items at the bottom. It uses a modular holster which can be configured to handle guns with lights. Although, my P320 with a 17 round mag, red dot and light would not fit, but a G19 with 17 round mag fit fine. I opted for the optional "In & Out" lock, so you can open the safe with a key and actually lock-out the Simplex lock if you chose. The "In & Out" lock can also be disabled completely. The thing is an absolute beast (shipping weight 24 pounds)! I plan to mount it using some toggle bolts through the bottom of the console. There are no pre-drilled holes, so you can choose how you mount the safe based on the application.

Here are some pics of the safe including some positioned in the console. The gun in the holster is a G26 to give you an idea of size. I don't think you will find a sturdier safe option out there.

Fast Action Safes (FAS) 1

View attachment 322173
View attachment 322169View attachment 322170
View attachment 322171View attachment 322172
how did you end up mounting it?

OP
OP
RotorOver

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks--nothing under the center console to accidentally drill into?
I went and looked at the parts diagrams that i could find and didn't see anything in that area, but you could pull the center console out, verify it and once its out then you could install a backing plate for an even more secure install. The laziness in me won that debate!

Last edited:

Ifly4vamerica

Reaction score
I followed @RotorOver advice. The bottom of the console drills quite easily, you'd really have to be leaning into the drill to hurt anything. Drilling through the floor is possible there but wouldn't be any more secure as there is a decent 1 inch gap between the floor and the console. If you tightened those bolts down to much without some sort of spacer you would be compromising the console floor. If somebody really wants the safe they will get it but it would be a lot of work. I would be on them like stink on sh*t well before they got it. The savvy guys will just drill the lock out and be in it in a few minutes, no matter how secure the safe is, it wont stop that. IMHO anyway. It can be done Like this.

Rollofire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve gone with the Lock’er Down safes for all my trucks. They have been great for securing things in my trucks, If you get the smaller safes that only hold a gun then your not securing anything else like money wallets etc. They come with all the blots/screws to install. Let’s face the facts that all safes are only for the smash and grab thief’s of opportunity, If your car is stolen then they have plenty of time to open any safe.

OP
OP
RotorOver

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score