Family Rig- Shopping Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bracky

Reaction score
Hello!

Been searching the forums for a bit. Currently have a 2020 STX F150 with 2.7L. Looking to upgrade.

Raptor has always been that dream truck I have desired. Planning to search used as I have been doing.

I don’t work with my truck or tow. My biggest use for a truck is to take my family to the snow and camping. Load up with my family of 4 and fill up the bed will our camping gear. Sometimes the occasional truck thing like dump runs and moving random objects.

I very much understand the payload limitations of the raptor. However it’s hard for me to even gauge the weight of my camping gear! I’ve been reading all the payload topics in the forum

I assume some of you use this as a family of 4 camping and adventure rig?

The raptor has a fun factor that just can’t be beat.

I am really wanting input from those using the Raptor for similar use with a family and if you have had issues!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

There are a bunch of “overlanders” here on FRF and some have some pretty all inclusive setups. Try an overlanding search here and hopefully some of them will chime in.

It’s very doable from what I’ve seen.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

There are a bunch of “overlanders” here on FRF and some have some pretty all inclusive setups. Try an overlanding search here and hopefully some of them will chime in.

It’s very doable from what I’ve seen.
Some of the setups I've seen are pretty sweet. I like the ones that make a tent on a platform over the bed

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently went with Icon rear leafs. Icon gets a bad rap on this forum for their customer service but it seems like I was one of the lucky ones that didn't need it. What may interest you is that the leafs come with three stages of lift to accommodate constant overlanding loads.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

Chris Mies is right, with the additional rear weight you will need to beef up the rear suspension. I went with Deavers, but Icons are also an excellent choice. I also went with Geiser coils in the front, but it's not necessary.

The only thing I would add is, be careful of the type of rack you purchase (if you decide to go with a Roof Top Tent (RTT)).
People like to buy the bolt together systems, which will rattle loose. Not if, but when. I prefer a solid one piece roof rack. MHO

Another good resource is Overland Bound. There are a few people (including me) that Raptor Overland there, plus other full size rigs.

The bottom line is, the Raptor is a very capable (and comfortable) rig for Overlanding with your family.

If you have any questions please free to contact me.

Good Luck!
Camp 2.jpg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, good luck in your search. You'll have no problem doing dump runs and the occasional camping adventure with the family in a Raptor.