Family is maybe outgrowing Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Raptor when it was just the wife, my 9-year old daughter, and me. Since then we’ve added two big dogs (one 75 lbs pitsky and one 100 lbs GSD), a baby, and we’re talking now about another child in a couple of years. As it currently is, we’re pretty cramped. Any ideas on how to fit everyone? It’s Texas so the back is too hot for the dogs. I do not want to sell the Raptor if I can help it.

Long-term options:
Buy a Kia Telluride or something similar in a few years (before new baby), or a Rivian R1S. Obviously this all depends on how life is going by then.
Note: wife’s car is a Tesla Model S that we’ll keep till it dies.
Better ideas? Please let me know.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not buy a Kia Telluride. Not as good as you think. If you can't fit into your Raptor than it can be your Fun car. Look this article for mid- size 3- row SUV's and let me know what you think:

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not buy a Kia Telluride. Not as good as you think. If you can't fit into your Raptor than it can be your Fun car. Look this article for mid- size 3- row SUV's and let me know what you think:

Thanks. The Kia was just for the lower price, the Rivian is clearly not.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean...

I know the obvious disrespectful answer so I'll stray from that...

Perhaps a three row SUV?

GoDucks

Reaction score
We have a 21 Explorer ST, 2 kids age 9 and 12, love it but won't be enough room for you. Perfect for us. The two big dogs you have with another child on the way will take up a lot of space and feel cramped with luggage. I say Tahoe or Expedition sized SUV is what you need.

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look at an Expedition Max (with the extended wheelbase). Plenty of room in the trunk and comfortable seating for 7. If you get the Timberline package, it has the same 3.5L HO engine as the Raptor (with slightly less HP; ~440HP).

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, for the price of the Expedition I could look more seriously at the Rivian.
I like the Explorer but I agree, it’ll be cramped with 3 kids and 2 dogs.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get gunner kennels with fans for the back. I live in TN and its blazing hot here too. The fans work super well and the kennels are alot safer than dogs being loose inside the car. Just my .02

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Isn’t the Rivian tiny? If it were me I’d sell the model S and buy a second Raptor, problem solved.

Seriously though, I’d do what David said above but with a cap/shell on the bed to keep the sun off the crates. That should give plenty of room for everything. A small 3 row suv seems like a downgrade in size to be honest.