Family is maybe outgrowing Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Small Town Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 teenage kids and 2 golden retrievers. The raptor has more than enough room.

Let's think about this for a minute. You're trying to think of a scenario where everyone is in the car at the same time? How often does that happen? Do you bring your dog's everywhere you go? Road trips?

So let's say road trip....whole family and dogs. If you buy a 3 row SUV....that 3rd row is gone if you have any amount of luggage...i remember the baby stage...cribs, toys etc...so where do the dogs go? With the truck, all the junk in the bed, kids and dogs in the cabin. Easy day.

My two kids sit next to each other, the 3rd seat folds up and the dogs take up that space or on the floor at their feet.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought the 3rd row suv for the space and travel convenance but we take the Raptor on every road trip shy of 10 hours. Why, cause the Raptor can fit 2 boys, a dog and all the luggage(have tonneau cover) and everyone is comfortable. I can get there faster in the suv but the F150’s are the go to road tripping car for us

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We bought the 3rd row suv for the space and travel convenance but we take the Raptor on every road trip shy of 10 hours. Why, cause the Raptor can fit 2 boys, a dog and all the luggage(have tonneau cover) and everyone is comfortable. I can get there faster in the suv but the F150’s are the go to road tripping car for us

Thats a fact right there. I don't think it would be so comfortable for three people in the back and a dog though..

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll look into those fans. I do have a Diamondback cover but for times when the whole family is going somewhere, I could potentially remove it. However, the two crates in the bed may fit but not much else.
The crates do take up a lot of the bed for sure. I use a yakima rack with a basket to hold coolers and luggage if need be. This setup wouldn't work for all occasions but it works excellenttruck.jpg for me. The kennels are made in Nashville and are made very similar to a Yeti cooler. I cant suggest them enough. Worth their weight in gold to keep pups safe.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The crates do take up a lot of the bed for sure. I use a yakima rack with a basket to hold coolers and luggage if need be. This setup wouldn't work for all occasions but it works excellentView attachment 362032 for me. The kennels are made in Nashville and are made very similar to a Yeti cooler. I cant suggest them enough. Worth their weight in gold to keep pups safe.

Hot damn thats sexy...
More pics..

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have two daughters and a 80lb black lab we fit in the Raptor just fine for most road trips, my wife has had her Buick Enclave for a few years and that fits everyone and the dog with luggage just fine with the third row folded down. Oldest daughter is now driving so Buick is going to her and I ordered the wife an Explorer ST we bought one last year for my mom and drove it for about 300 miles before taking it to Florida for my mom. The wife really liked it so we are ordering one. But for you with a second dog and another kiddo on the way the Explorer just won’t work really unless you do luggage carriers on top and even then probably not working like you would like. So just as was mentioned earlier Expedition MAX Timberline is probably going to fit your needs and be the comfortable solution for your family. Now for the real problem that is convincing your wife her Model S is getting traded in for the Expedition MAX! I would start out with its a Timberline and you look so much sexier in this than that puny car! Good luck you might need it although seriously those top of the line expeditions are no joke!

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My two kids sit next to each other, the 3rd seat folds up and the dogs take up that space or on the floor at their feet.
That’s the current configuration…and it’s fine till we add another little human. Also, we do take the dogs a lot, but that may change with extra kids. Although, my GSD is the best protector of her pack so no one will go near my kids without me hearing it first.
Trust me, I’d rather take the Raptor everywhere. :)
Ok so I have two daughters and a 80lb black lab we fit in the Raptor just fine for most road trips, my wife has had her Buick Enclave for a few years and that fits everyone and the dog with luggage just fine with the third row folded down. Oldest daughter is now driving so Buick is going to her and I ordered the wife an Explorer ST we bought one last year for my mom and drove it for about 300 miles before taking it to Florida for my mom. The wife really liked it so we are ordering one. But for you with a second dog and another kiddo on the way the Explorer just won’t work really unless you do luggage carriers on top and even then probably not working like you would like. So just as was mentioned earlier Expedition MAX Timberline is probably going to fit your needs and be the comfortable solution for your family. Now for the real problem that is convincing your wife her Model S is getting traded in for the Expedition MAX! I would start out with its a Timberline and you look so much sexier in this than that puny car! Good luck you might need it although seriously those top of the line expeditions are no joke!
I think we’re keeping the Tesla till it dies. We have free supercharging and it’s only 5 years old. But getting the Expedition makes sense. We’ll see what happens.