Family is maybe outgrowing Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get gunner kennels with fans for the back. I live in TN and its blazing hot here too. The fans work super well and the kennels are alot safer than dogs being loose inside the car. Just my .02
I’ll look into those fans. I do have a Diamondback cover but for times when the whole family is going somewhere, I could potentially remove it. However, the two crates in the bed may fit but not much else.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why keep a Tesla until it needs a $40k battery replacement at 150k miles? All Tesla repairs need to be done at a Tesla service center; they won’t even allow you to buy the parts if you wanted to repair it yourself. They’re essentially disposable vehicles, and far from what I’d consider a “luxury” car.

Kia Telluride (should be considered “cultural appropriation” for using the name of an American city on a Korean vehicle) is an adaptation of a FWD minivan; they’re cheaply built. Put one on a lift next to an Explorer (I have) and you’ll see why; “Telluride” doesn’t even have a full front subframe; same many KiA/Hyundai vehicles.

Based on your person/pet/cargo capacity, you’d probably be best suited with an Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban, or Yukon. New Wagoneer looks cool but I don’t know a whole lot about them as they’re a new entry in the segment.

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn’t the Rivian tiny? If it were me I’d sell the model S and buy a second Raptor, problem solved.

Seriously though, I’d do what David said above but with a cap/shell on the bed to keep the sun off the crates. That should give plenty of room for everything. A small 3 row suv seems like a downgrade in size to be honest.
I think the Rivian is as big as the Expedition.
If I went with a cap/shell then I’d probably look to sell the Diamondback.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I think the Rivian is as big as the Expedition.
If I went with a cap/shell then I’d probably look to sell the Diamondback.
You would have all electric vehicles? Think about that for a minute. No way in he!! I would ever do that. I wonder what that "300 mile" range is with 5 people, 2 dogs and luggage. Just get one of those mercedes or nissan hightop diesel 4x4 vans and be done. lol

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why keep a Tesla until it needs a $40k battery replacement at 150k miles? All Tesla repairs need to be done at a Tesla service center; they won’t even allow you to buy the parts if you wanted to repair it yourself. They’re essentially disposable vehicles, and far from what I’d consider a “luxury” car.

Kia Telluride (should be considered “cultural appropriation” for using the name of an American city on a Korean vehicle) is an adaptation of a FWD minivan; they’re cheaply built. Put one on a lift next to an Explorer (I have) and you’ll see why; “Telluride” doesn’t even have a full front subframe; same many KiA/Hyundai vehicles.

Based on your person/pet/cargo capacity, you’d probably be best suited with an Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban, or Yukon. New Wagoneer looks cool but I don’t know a whole lot about them as they’re a new entry in the segment.
While I agree the Tesla is not a luxury car (fit and finish are lacking, too much cabin noise, etc), I haven’t seen that with the battery replacement. I’ve seen that at 150k miles it loses 10% charge but supposedly the modules can be replaced for $7k. Either way, we own it outright (same with the Raptor) so selling it to get something else would be a loss.

I appreciate the advice on the Kia/Hyundai. And your opinion on getting the Expedition, Yukon, etc. The Wagoneer looks smaller than those to me but maybe that’s because I was passing him. I’ll have to spend some time looking at the different size Expeditions and Yukons, not having to get XL would be nice.

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but isn’t it the same size as the R1T? The R1T is tiny, barely the size of a Tacoma. I’ve seen a lot around where I live since their HQ is close by.
Huh, I’ve only seen one R1T and I thought it looked bigger than that but I could’ve just been staring at their yellow calipers. I’ll definitely have to see one in person first.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Rivan is 10-15% smaller than an F150. If you and your family don't fit in a F150 a Rivan isn't going to work.

Keep the raptor for fun. Get Expedition timberline for the family.

Which all the sudden begs the question. Has anyone ever Fraptored an Expedition?

Last edited:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bro im still pretty new here but….

You come to a raptor forum and ask us to choose between a kia and a rivian? I have to ask the serious question: are you trolling us?

The US hasnt even mined enough copper to support the flow of electrons to fuel ev yet.

Ill give you a scenario:

The kid or wife has a medical emergency middle of the night, the power is out and your rivian didnt charge and is at 3% . The hospital is a 20 min drive…

Buy a suburban.

OP
OP
rbraptor

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro im still pretty new here but….

You come to a raptor forum and ask us to choose between a kia and a rivian? I have to ask the serious question: are you trolling us?

The US hasnt even mined enough copper to support the flow of electrons to fuel ev yet.

Ill give you a scenario:

The kid or wife has a medical emergency middle of the night, the power is out and your rivian didnt charge and is at 3% . The hospital is a 20 min drive…

Buy a suburban.
Not trolling. If you read my post, you’d see I ask how others have fit their large families or if they had to resort to a second vehicle for such things. I then ask for an opinion on said second vehicle because, as I’m sure you know, most families don’t just have two Raptors. Maybe if you spend more time on the forum you’ll see that people are quite nice and helpful here (for the most part).

At least the last thing you said was relevant.

Bro