Fading on New ADD Black Wheels....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These wheels are almost 5 months old and I have started to notice some fading on the outer ring. Being a black wheel I thought it might just be me. However after washing my truck and putting some dressing on the tires I noticed a huge difference when the dressing hit the actual wheel. You can really see how much fading there was. I left it this way so you can see the contrast.

Here is my question. Is this normal? It looks as if the powder coat is dry or "dehydrated" much like the plastic on cars get. I have never heard of anything powder coated needing to be treated as such, but I am new to this and the horsepower between my ears in the area is minimal. I am ok treating it that way, just need to know if this is normal or not. Is this a manufacturer error? It is only on the other part of the wheel, the inner spokes are still the same "black" as when they came.

Thank you for your help

pic below.
tempImagelswKQ9.png

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not normal. Did you happen to get any type of wheel cleaner on it and have it sit/dry at all? I know Adam's wheel cleaner specifically says do not let it dry / requires constant agitation.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like shit, I would be disappointed as well. Can you take those rings off and sand them and clear coat 'em with a rattle can?

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not normal. Did you happen to get any type of wheel cleaner on it and have it sit/dry at all? I know Adam's wheel cleaner specifically says do not let it dry / requires constant agitation.
Nope. Just normal PH neutral soap. Very frustrating.

OP
OP
BSP10

BSP10

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like shit, I would be disappointed as well. Can you take those rings off and sand them and clear coat 'em with a rattle can?
I am going to start with the manufacturer since they are only 5months old and see what they are willing to do

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same wheels and thought they were dirty. Looks just like yours and mine are not very old either and no harsh cleaners on them.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely a finish defect. I've seen faded powder coat but it usually takes years. Their warranty should be a least a year (industry standard except Method does 2 years). Hopefully they can get you guys handled in a quick and timely matter.