Eyeing a 2021 Raptor - looking for some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed with everyone above me. I was able to snag my '20 that stickered for 74k for 69k in March 2020 just as COVID was starting to spread through Europe. IIRC that is around or invoice pricing on these. Not sure if anyone's done updated invoice/holdback pricing calculations for MY21 yet but it's worth a Google before you try to negotiate.

Raptor pricing also factors in geography so folks on the west coast and near population centers generally get worse pricing and the dealerships in middle America will generally be willing to play ball.

Honestly you're fighting an uphill battle trying to find a MY21 Gen3 as they slowly trickle out of the plant and into the dirty ADM clutches of dealerships. Supply and demand is not in your favor unfortunately.

Stojanowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with everyone above me. I was able to snag my '20 that stickered for 74k for 69k in March 2020 just as COVID was starting to spread through Europe. IIRC that is around or invoice pricing on these. Not sure if anyone's done updated invoice/holdback pricing calculations for MY21 yet but it's worth a Google before you try to negotiate.

Raptor pricing also factors in geography so folks on the west coast and near population centers generally get worse pricing and the dealerships in middle America will generally be willing to play ball.

Honestly you're fighting an uphill battle trying to find a MY21 Gen3 as they slowly trickle out of the plant and into the dirty ADM clutches of dealerships. Supply and demand is not in your favor unfortunately.
I want to say in April of last year was the first time I saw one on the lot for under MSRP by about that same amount... Not sure if it was a 19 or 20

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptors have traditionally been sold at MSRP or MARP + ADM. When the Plandemic first broke out I started regularly seeing discounts up to $7500 off of new ones. I believe that answers one of your questions.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Historically, what have NEW prices on raptors typically been sold as? Over the years, I could historically get about 18-25% off of the MSRP of any truck, any manufacturer, any year, but on mid-level trims. I have read that Raptors have always been sold around MSRP, or maybe slightly less.

I won't be going to the dunes with it, honestly. I do a lot of Overlanding/camping and long drives and some of the new features of any of the F-150's are worth it to me. The 2KW generator, the area lighting alone is far superior to what I can get on the RAM and I was then looking at the Tremor to save a few $$$'s over the Raptor and that's when realism hit me.
20% off MSRP for a Raptor? I won't say it's never happened, but 10% is about the best I've heard of. And that won't be happening for maybe two more years ... but then this is probably the worst time in recent memory to buy any vehicle, new or used, so it might easily be longer as it will take a while for backlogged demand to work it's way through the system. If money is an issue, I'd buy a cheap reliable beater and drive it for a couple of years before making my move. If money is no object, go for it, but be prepared to pay.

Depending on what you take camping with you, the Raptor might not be a good choice. Unless you go pretty light, the Tremor would be a much better choice because the Raptor is quite literally a "four guys and a cooler full of beer" truck. It looks like a truck, but it's really a toy. A really fun toy with really soft springs and a lot of travel. Add up the weight of everything you take camping, including yourself. If it comes to less than 1200lb, you're good if you load it carefully, with the bulk of the weight in front of the rear axle. If it comes to 1200lb, go over everything again, to make sure you didn't forget something. If it's over 1200lb, choose a different vehicle or figure out what you're willing to leave behind. I go really light by overlanding standards and I'm right at 1200lb for a one-week trip with one passenger. That's without a rack, a RTT, a decked system, a fridge, a generator, etc.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, I'm skinny and so are my friends, so that's 340lb out of the 1200 for me and my passenger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deriggs007

Reaction score
20% off MSRP for a Raptor? I won't say it's never happened, but 10% is about the best I've heard of. And that won't be happening for maybe two more years ... but then this is probably the worst time in recent memory to buy any vehicle, new or used, so it might easily be longer as it will take a while for backlogged demand to work it's way through the system. If money is an issue, I'd buy a cheap reliable beater and drive it for a couple of years before making my move. If money is no object, go for it, but be prepared to pay.

Depending on what you take camping with you, the Raptor might not be a good choice. Unless you go pretty light, the Tremor would be a much better choice because the Raptor is quite literally a "four guys and a cooler full of beer" truck. It looks like a truck, but it's really a toy. A really fun toy with really soft springs and a lot of travel. Add up the weight of everything you take camping, including yourself. If it comes to less than 1200lb, you're good if you load it carefully, with the bulk of the weight in front of the rear axle. If it comes to 1200lb, go over everything again, to make sure you didn't forget something. If it's over 1200lb, choose a different vehicle or figure out what you're willing to leave behind. I go really light by overlanding standards and I'm right at 1200lb for a one-week trip with one passenger. That's without a rack, a RTT, a decked system, a fridge, a generator, etc.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, I'm skinny and so are my friends, so that's 340lb out of the 1200 for me and my passenger.
Thanks for the input.
I don’t have a trailer or any of that either. Just me, wife and 3 young kids. So maybe with all of us, about 400 pounds. I’d like to do a rack/RTT, but like you said - really depends on all the other gear.

I mostly been overlanding with the Jeep Wrangler. It’s a sport S. 35s on it, but yeah, it can’t haul and room is a premium and thus that means my weight isn’t that much. Only so much I can fit in the back of the wrangler (no rack/rtt)

I am in the San Antonio area, been able to score good deals historically only because it’s a competitive market and you can reach out to 8 different dealerships and compete with them all in a 35min drive lol.

I do like the tremor, I just feel that buying anything not a raptor right now would be a mistake from the deals you could probably get in a year or so.

buying a beater was an idea, but then it’s money down the toilet anyways that I won’t get much out of once things start picking back up.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I don’t have a trailer or any of that either. Just me, wife and 3 young kids. So maybe with all of us, about 400 pounds. I’d like to do a rack/RTT, but like you said - really depends on all the other gear.

I mostly been overlanding with the Jeep Wrangler. It’s a sport S. 35s on it, but yeah, it can’t haul and room is a premium and thus that means my weight isn’t that much. Only so much I can fit in the back of the wrangler (no rack/rtt)

I am in the San Antonio area, been able to score good deals historically only because it’s a competitive market and you can reach out to 8 different dealerships and compete with them all in a 35min drive lol.

I do like the tremor, I just feel that buying anything not a raptor right now would be a mistake from the deals you could probably get in a year or so.

buying a beater was an idea, but then it’s money down the toilet anyways that I won’t get much out of once things start picking back up.
You might be OK. We go to the desert and dry camp, so we have to take a lot of water, which is heavy. 2 gallons per person per day is the rule of thumb, so 250lb right there. If you go to campgrounds, they have water.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

There is a big-@$$ Dodge / Jeep stealership on I10, headed up toward Frednecksburg in S/A - missed the name, but hugely visible from 10; anyway, there’s a prominently displayed Gen2 on a posing rack you can’t miss. Maybe try giving them a call as well as looking into the 21.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bad time for sure to look for a bargain. ‘21s are limited supply and no way you would land one for anything less than MSRP and that’s if your lucky. Even if you find a new Tremor it will be MSRP or ADM as well. Find a deal on an F-150 work truck if your super lucky let alone anything performance or top trim level trucks. You will and as mentioned likely over pay for a used Gen 2 right now.

Get an unlikely deal on a TRX and whatever you saved (unlikely) you will **** away on 4 dollar gas super fast lol

Keep a watchful eye open.