Eyeing a 2021 Raptor - looking for some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and eyeing a 2021 Raptor.

I understand the market right now is a mess and most vehicles are selling at MSRP. However, from my limited google research - I've heard that Raptors tend to not have big discounts historically anyways. On top of that, they've always had a high resell value.

Can anyone that's been in the market with Raptors over the years verify any of this? What have you gotten on prices on a raptor, pre-covid and now during Covid with the chip shortages we have right now.

Waiting really isn't much of an option as I bought a Mercedes prior to Covid and it ended up being a lemon and they bought the vehicle back, since then I decided to stick with just our 1 vehicle. Now I'm relocating and I'll need a 2nd vehicle and I'm actually unbiased on brands, looking at other trucks, but in 2019, I bought the Laramie $60K for $44K out the door, I know Ford also historically had decent prices, just I never really looked at the Raptor.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at buying one off the lot (if you can find one), be very prepared to pay over sticker. The ones going for MSRP are ordered trucks that guys are waiting months for. Most Raptors hitting driveways right now were ordered late June….

worst time in history to be buying a vehicle unfortunately

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know of a production vehicle that holds value better than a raptor. I paid 61 and change for my 2018 and Kelley blue book right now is in the mid 50s aNd that’s after 50,000 miles.

You would be hard pressed to find a 21 raptor without a significant markup over sticker right now.

Comparing a Laramie purchase to a raptor purchase is like comparing a two door Honda Civic to a Porsche Cayman.

FORDONLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paid 64 for my 2018 sold it 3 months ago for 69 with 30k miles on it ....I have been searching for a 2021 and have found a few for 5k over sticker but have also found a few for uptown 25k over which is insane....still looking as we speak ...willing to pay a little over otherwise I will wait ...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Waiting really isn't much of an option as I bought a Mercedes prior to Covid and it ended up being a lemon and they bought the vehicle back

UN-Possible! it is well established FACT that ALL European marques are VASTLY SUPERIOR to all American makes and never suffer from reliability concerns. Never!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not directed you, and Ducati was enough European ownership experience for me. Above posters are right, this is possibly the worst time to be in the market, and particularly so for a Raptor. If you’re a good negotiator, you might be able to score MSRP but if time is not on your side, be prepared to consider other vehicles. Ford has had a very hard time getting the Raptor out the door.

I have a 2017 Rap and honestly it’s impressive. It does pretty much everything you can ask of a vehicle, from family vacation duty to off roading that would destroy some vehicles and everything in between. Just a look at used Raptors right now is an exercise in sticker shock.

’21 will be the best Rap yet, for sure but no matter how tempted you are, don’t pay over MSRP.
Raptors are delivered to Stealerships first - that is, the stealerships get the first trucks off the line, then customer orders. The stealership trucks are typically fully optioned models and since there’s plenty of demand, some stealerships seem to think they’re diamond encrusted gold or something. Wait a couple years and you’ll be able to negotiate price on it. I think order banks for the ’21 MY are closed, likelihood of getting an order picked up and done is pretty thin this late in the year. Most likely an order would be for a ’22.

Have you checked on used Raptors, ’19-’20 maybe?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Go to your nearest dealer and see if you can place an order for a '22 at msrp, doubt it will be less until about 2023 at the earliest.

OP
OP
D

Deriggs007

Reaction score
UN-Possible! it is well established FACT that ALL European marques are VASTLY SUPERIOR to all American makes and never suffer from reliability concerns. Never!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not directed you, and Ducati was enough European ownership experience for me. Above posters are right, this is possibly the worst time to be in the market, and particularly so for a Raptor. If you’re a good negotiator, you might be able to score MSRP but if time is not on your side, be prepared to consider other vehicles. Ford has had a very hard time getting the Raptor out the door.

I have a 2017 Rap and honestly it’s impressive. It does pretty much everything you can ask of a vehicle, from family vacation duty to off roading that would destroy some vehicles and everything in between. Just a look at used Raptors right now is an exercise in sticker shock.

’21 will be the best Rap yet, for sure but no matter how tempted you are, don’t pay over MSRP.
Raptors are delivered to Stealerships first - that is, the stealerships get the first trucks off the line, then customer orders. The stealership trucks are typically fully optioned models and since there’s plenty of demand, some stealerships seem to think they’re diamond encrusted gold or something. Wait a couple years and you’ll be able to negotiate price on it. I think order banks for the ’21 MY are closed, likelihood of getting an order picked up and done is pretty thin this late in the year. Most likely an order would be for a ’22.

Have you checked on used Raptors, ’19-’20 maybe?

I'm with yah. A mistake was made trading my RAM for a Mercedes, but it's because my wife wanted her dream vehicle (Jeep Wrangler) and I wanted mine, so I traded it in with 4K miles on it, I got such an amazing deal on it though, that's one thing in my questions that keeps getting skipped.

Historically, what have NEW prices on raptors typically been sold as? Over the years, I could historically get about 18-25% off of the MSRP of any truck, any manufacturer, any year, but on mid-level trims. I have read that Raptors have always been sold around MSRP, or maybe slightly less.

I won't be going to the dunes with it, honestly. I do a lot of Overlanding/camping and long drives and some of the new features of any of the F-150's are worth it to me. The 2KW generator, the area lighting alone is far superior to what I can get on the RAM and I was then looking at the Tremor to save a few $$$'s over the Raptor and that's when realism hit me.

I've always gotten great prices on the non 'exotic' trucks, a Tremor would be no different and right now in this market, it doesn't make sense to buy a $65K truck that I could probably score for $50-$57K with normal negotiations that I can now only get at MSRP. A Raptor though, It may be $80K MSRP, but say chips were available, no COVID etc, what would I have really been able to score it for? $76K? lol

I am not interested in buying older Raptors only because of the interior/tech options (that's a big motivating factor for me) I'm someone that likes tech and capability. I don't always use the capability, but I want it. On the flip side, I always use the technology, and it's hard to 'downgrade' the tech from a RAM in 2019 on my old Laramie or my Mercedes for Capability only. That 12" screen and some of the other goodies was the reason I went with RAM, and the interior. I still think RAM has FOrd beat on Interior comfort and looks, but no longer in tech and it's a great tradeoff.

I don't need a TRX either. It's a waste for what I do.

OP
OP
D

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Paid 64 for my 2018 sold it 3 months ago for 69 with 30k miles on it ....I have been searching for a 2021 and have found a few for 5k over sticker but have also found a few for uptown 25k over which is insane....still looking as we speak ...willing to pay a little over otherwise I will wait ...

What was the MSRP of that 2018? That's a big motivator on if I should even consider a Raptor. If you got it for 64K and it was $80K. I think I'll just wait, but if you got it for $64K and it was like, $68-$70K. It may be worth grabbing a 2021 during this pandemic since I wouldnt be getting much of a discount anyways.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I'm with yah. A mistake was made trading my RAM for a Mercedes, but it's because my wife wanted her dream vehicle (Jeep Wrangler) and I wanted mine, so I traded it in with 4K miles on it, I got such an amazing deal on it though, that's one thing in my questions that keeps getting skipped.

Historically, what have NEW prices on raptors typically been sold as? Over the years, I could historically get about 18-25% off of the MSRP of any truck, any manufacturer, any year, but on mid-level trims. I have read that Raptors have always been sold around MSRP, or maybe slightly less.

I won't be going to the dunes with it, honestly. I do a lot of Overlanding/camping and long drives and some of the new features of any of the F-150's are worth it to me. The 2KW generator, the area lighting alone is far superior to what I can get on the RAM and I was then looking at the Tremor to save a few $$$'s over the Raptor and that's when realism hit me.

I've always gotten great prices on the non 'exotic' trucks, a Tremor would be no different and right now in this market, it doesn't make sense to buy a $65K truck that I could probably score for $50-$57K with normal negotiations that I can now only get at MSRP. A Raptor though, It may be $80K MSRP, but say chips were available, no COVID etc, what would I have really been able to score it for? $76K? lol

I am not interested in buying older Raptors only because of the interior/tech options (that's a big motivating factor for me) I'm someone that likes tech and capability. I don't always use the capability, but I want it. On the flip side, I always use the technology, and it's hard to 'downgrade' the tech from a RAM in 2019 on my old Laramie or my Mercedes for Capability only. That 12" screen and some of the other goodies was the reason I went with RAM, and the interior. I still think RAM has FOrd beat on Interior comfort and looks, but no longer in tech and it's a great tradeoff.

I don't need a TRX either. It's a waste for what I do.
It’s only a waste until you smash the skinny peddle the first time. Just saying…