Extreme radiator coolant overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had cam phaser failure,Dealer replaced phasers took out of shop, four days later while driving on the freeway I noticed in my rearview mirror it look like a fog bank behind me then my gauge cluster said coolant temperature overheating ,truck went into limp mode temperature gage turned red I clunked off the freeway called Ford roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealer waiting to hear back. Has anybody else have something like this happen?

Michael Jann

Reaction score
Sounds like air bubbles in the radiator and that's what causing the over-heating issue. Now when it comes to the fog/smoke is another story. Some will say its condensation and some will say its oil from idling to long. That's a hard guess for me. I see quite a bit of smoke/fog behind my truck everyday for awhile. I Never think anything of it. Glad its at the dealer getting taken care of.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had cam phaser failure,Dealer replaced phasers took out of shop, four days later while driving on the freeway I noticed in my rearview mirror it look like a fog bank behind me then my gauge cluster said coolant temperature overheating ,truck went into limp mode temperature gage turned red I clunked off the freeway called Ford roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealer waiting to hear back. Has anybody else have something like this happen?
This is why I will never ever let anyone ever touch my vehicles ever. The dealer mechanic probably left something loose and now it's cooked. Hopefully they fix it right the next time

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So you will do your own cam phasers then?
I mean, he already designed and built his own Raptor from the ground up, so what’s a cam phaser repair in the grand scheme of things? ;)

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did he? ^^

I guess I'm going to Philadelphia for a cheesestreak and chat.

RAPTOR818

Reaction score

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto. After my cam phasers were replaced, my truck started running hot. My engine fans were running all the time. 250F showing on dash in 50F temps. I replaced the stock 195f thermostat with a SPD 170F thermostat and the temps are down and the fans aren't coming on anymore. Problem solved.