Exterior Power Panel Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnance50

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my exterior power panel this weekend.

The first switch is a master, the others operate my scene lights, left and right rack lights, and underglow/rock lights.

The master switch is on a 30a relay, the rest are fused accordingly. The lights are ran on diodes so that I can utilize the interior upfitter switches without back feeding power to the computer.

Haven’t got to try out the tent yet, only arrived yesterday.

88946BE4-E676-4117-AC48-B16826B806F0.jpegAECCA7CA-7F4F-4ABB-BE33-2CFA470B74DC.jpeg

F9BBDCAA-60D8-42C6-A6D0-88D2DBCE2E99.jpeg27E50DE5-30D4-4453-8628-F1930448E4DA.jpeg

Last edited:

raptor556

Reaction score
exactly where you got that exterior power panel and how it was installed would be great.

I'd like to add power to my bed for a fridge.

OP
OP
J

jnance50

Reaction score
exactly where you got that exterior power panel and how it was installed would be great.

I'd like to add power to my bed for a fridge.

Lots to unpack there. The power panel is a generic Amazon one. The diodes I used are overkill but work well. The relay was one I just had laying around. I marked off a section of the bed where it would fit with some masking tape and cut an access panel in the bed with a mulitool. From there, I made a wiring harness by taking 5 wires and taping them together about every 12". As far as routing, it goes down the inside of the wheel well and into the adjacent frame rail, I'll try and find some photos. It pops back out just inside of the splash shield behind the drivers tire. It then runs up and over the engine compartment to the fuse/battery/upfitter wire area where it connects to the diodes/interior switch wire/and loads. There are inline fuses behind every switch in the fender well and an inline fuse on the main power wire to the panel from the battery. I can go deeper into detail on the wiring if anyone is interested.

Bugzuki

Reaction score
So you have to get out of the truck and reach into the bed to turn on and off the exterior lighting?

OP
OP
J

jnance50

Reaction score
So you have to get out of the truck and reach into the bed to turn on and off the exterior lighting?

No, the same lights are ran to the factory overhead upfitter switches as well. This panel is for when camping in the bed of the truck or when I don't feeling like having all of the accessories powered (factory switches only work when the ignition is on to acc).

Now when camping I don't need to power up the whole truck at night. I can turn on any of my exterior lights, charge my phone, even make coffee in the morning (with a 12v water boiler) without getting out of bed if I wanted. It definitely makes everything a lot more convenient without having to climb in and out of the truck the whole time.

raptor556

Reaction score
check it again.

1. it's not a standard 12v socket
2. I got it for 46 bucks elsewhere. doubt someone can put the material together for much less. making it much easier to do this way. But to each their own.