Extending Sunroof Drain Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trackguy3

Reaction score
In reading all of the post about rust issues, I just checked out my 2014 screw in the rear of the cab and the rockers. Thankfully no bubbling and the adhesive tape over the body holes looks in great condition. I saw that some recommending extending the sunroof dain lines, but I can't find anything on how to actually do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 3 options.
1. There may be enough slack to pull the end of the drain line out from inside the rocker from underneath just by removing the tape and getting a plastic barb fitting to fit into the end of the line and attach a a larger piece to get out from inside the rocker. My left side was JUST long enough for me to do this.
2nd: detach the rear portion of the sunroof to gain access to where the beginning of the black drain hose is connected to the nipple of the drain track of the actual sunroof drain and again, getting a barb fitting to extend a longer piece so that you can pull more down from the underside inside the rocker.
3rd: remove the plastic trim along the side of the inside of the cab where the seatbelt is and cut the hose in half and AGAIN, making it longer by attaching a barb fitting. You’re gonna need to remove most of the plastic trim pieces along the side of the cab to get the headliner pulled down far enough anyway. I chose to disconnect my right side from the nipple of the sunroof drain framing and install the barb and insert a longer piece of tubing so I could pull more hose down to get it out of the rocker. It’s not hard at all, just a little tedious.
Also I will add i would HIGHLY recommend making sure your 3rd brake light is sealed COMPLETELY because water will drain from there into the rockers aswell. Personally I believe this is where alot of the damage comes from because I see SCREW’s with NO sunroof but just obliterated cab corners…

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I will add i would HIGHLY recommend making sure your 3rd brake light is sealed COMPLETELY because water will drain from there into the rockers aswell. Personally I believe this is where alot of the damage comes from because I see SCREW’s with NO sunroof but just obliterated cab corners…

Big ups on this too. I’m unsure where my problem is originating yet, but I’ve heard this as many times as the sunroof drain.

For those that have done both/either, what did you use to seal the third brake light?

What if you upgrade to GJ/etc…same or does the GJ come with a solidly made gasket?

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some get an OEM replacement light that comes with a new gasket but the light is ridiculously expensive. I actually think it may Be discontinued. I just used paint safe clear silicone over top of the existing gasket since mine was In decent shape. And you don’t have to do anything special other than use the gasket that comes with the GJ one. It’s just the original OEM gasket one wasnt the best. But you may be able to get a new oem gasket. Someone can chime in that’s more knowledgeable than myself.
Also, the ONLY other thing it could be is the small gasket that’s attached to the rivet that holds down that black cap on the roof cab seam smay have failed. I just drilled mine out, loaded some paint safe clear silicone underneath the black cap and installed a new rivet. This causes issue in cab corners aswell. Take care of all that and you won’t have issue

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait to cut into her and do all of that. I hope you all can taste the sarcasm.

Didn’t find this place till I already had my used 2014. Could have saved me some pain. :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
I used clear silicone for the light. I cant find the front two drains still and the rear one side is still mia. Lol

you could add A clear or black waxoyl (spray can) as a protective layer in the rocker also.
You have 3 options.
1. There may be enough slack to pull the end of the drain line out from inside the rocker from underneath just by removing the tape and getting a plastic barb fitting to fit into the end of the line and attach a a larger piece to get out from inside the rocker. My left side was JUST long enough for me to do this.
2nd: detach the rear portion of the sunroof to gain access to where the beginning of the black drain hose is connected to the nipple of the drain track of the actual sunroof drain and again, getting a barb fitting to extend a longer piece so that you can pull more down from the underside inside the rocker.
3rd: remove the plastic trim along the side of the inside of the cab where the seatbelt is and cut the hose in half and AGAIN, making it longer by attaching a barb fitting. You’re gonna need to remove most of the plastic trim pieces along the side of the cab to get the headliner pulled down far enough anyway. I chose to disconnect my right side from the nipple of the sunroof drain framing and install the barb and insert a longer piece of tubing so I could pull more hose down to get it out of the rocker. It’s not hard at all, just a little tedious.

This is spot on what im doing myself.