GEN 2 Extended range tanks for SCABs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this was discussed for gen1 trucks in this thread, but thought I’d start the discussion for us Gen 2 folks. Clearly there’s a lot that has to go into a real and safe solution...check valves, emissions controls, etc. otherwise we’d see these out there already.

Despite the fact that my bladder usually can’t last that long, I love that we can go 600+ miles in my wife’s Jeep with the diesel motor; we get 25+ mpg cruising at 75-80 mph between here and our other property out in west Texas.

i-HBLK6Rf.jpg

Having extended range without relying on jerry cans while offroading seems like a good thing too.

I’m not necessarily looking for 600+ miles range, but the 26 gallon tank on my SCAB goes pretty fast at my normal 15-15.5 mpg...and a lot less than that off road. I guess I have a heavy right foot...it is painted Lead Foot after all! I considered getting a slip tank..or whatever you call the bed-mounted tanks like all the oil field guys around here have for their diesels...but that option doesn’t seem too safe to me. Diesel is a lot different than gas when it comes to transporting.

Let alone what could happen if I rolled the truck with an external tank full of 93 octane while jumping/off roading.

I think Harmon made a central-mount under bed tank for one of the gen1 guys with all the proper emissions fittings, etc. so no CELs or anything. Does anyone recall any details or have any additional information?

Anyone have any better ideas other than a purpose built custom tank...or better yet a nice foam-filled fuel cell with a baffled sump for low fuel situtions?

mattrofact

Reaction score
A spare tire auxiliary tank would be great, especially after the addition of a chase rack... something low profile at like 15-20 gallons would be perfect. I know out here in CA auxiliary tanks are a nightmare, legally speaking. There was a guy on the 4runner forums that had a custom aux tank built with an internal pump, when fuel got low, hit the switch and the pump fired up and pumped gas into the main tank.