Explain beadlock capable please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lar32

Reaction score
I have a 2018 raptor with the OEM upgraded beadlock capable tires. Im selling them on another site since I'm a new member here but have been asked if they are a true beadlock. I believe if the rings are switched out it can become a true beadlock but tbh just liked the look of them so paid for upgrade. Any insight would be helpful. I don't want to mislead anyone. I attached photo of wheel.

20200628_203040.jpg

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The proper rings are available from Ford Performance for a measly $200 each! That is why so few people change them over.
These are heavy rims that become even heavier with the BL rings. A popular option that dealers like to sell but few Raptor owners ever buy the rings and change them over, or ever need to.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes just as you are thinking. That beauty trim ring comes off and that side of the tire comes to the outside of the rim and the beadlock ring clamps the tire. The true beadlock ring are made by ford performance and sell for ~$150 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes just as you are thinking. That beauty trim ring comes off and that side of the tire comes to the outside of the rim and the beadlock ring clamps the tire. The true beadlock ring are made by ford performance and sell for ~$150 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Actually $216 each - not cheap, and who needs but the few that really go offroad in extreme conditions.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1021-F15RB

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve always wondered, if a beadlock clamps the outside of the tire, what’s keeping the inside bead from coming loose?

JustDennis

Reaction score
As they said, the rims are capable of beadlock with the rings from Ford. They don't work as beadlock as pictured with beauty rings

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How is clamping one bead any better than clamping neither then? I guess that’s where I lose it.

The BL side is “solid” and the air pressure pushes the the inner sidewall against the rim. It allows you to run a lower pressure for off-road.

That’s not to say that a tire won’t pop off on a BL but it is greatly reduced.