Expensive Exhaust Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How loud is "Really Loud"?
Ive got the MBRP Dump (no resonator) and it's not loud at all. I was actually kinda disappointed.

:goofy_batman:

LOL I had to rip my MBRP off last night because after 4 years of having it on the truck I was sooooooo tired of the drone. It's great around town but way too loud/intrusive on the highway for me.

Replaced it with a Lightning-style exhaust from AFE. Definitely quieter around town than the MBRP, time will tell whether it's better on the highway but I think it will be.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How loud is "Really Loud"?
Ive got the MBRP Dump (no resonator) and it's not loud at all. I was actually kinda disappointed. The fact is you can't get it all that loud with the factory cats installed. I guess its all a matter of personal opinion but after a couple of muscle cars and a diesel with 5" and no muffler this truck is quiet.

Maybe my cats are clogged who knows?

Tips look good though might be even cooler when they're oval.:favorites13:

I've got the stainless MBRP turn down with resonator on a Whipple Stage 2+ truck with Kooks 1 7/8" headers and green cats. It's LOUD.

I'm actually glad this came up today because I really need to quiet this thing down and wanted to get some opinions.

I'm looking at a custom x pipe (trying to decide between single and double) and then two Borla XR-1 mufflers with turn downs before the axle.

Just not sure that will be quiet enough or if I should also plan to run a couple resonators upstream of the Borlas.

Fcfdw

Reaction score
Thats interesting, I read a lot about problems with drone and the turndown but have not experienced it on my truck. My wife would definitely be letting me know if it was bad.... I wonder though I'm in Texas and traffic moves at about 80 most of the time so maybe I don't drive in the drone zone I'll have to experiment with that today and see if I can find an uncomfortable RPM.

And yeah I could see with headers and high flow cats it getting pretty loud.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats interesting, I read a lot about problems with drone and the turndown but have not experienced it on my truck. My wife would definitely be letting me know if it was bad.... I wonder though I'm in Texas and traffic moves at about 80 most of the time so maybe I don't drive in the drone zone I'll have to experiment with that today and see if I can find an uncomfortable RPM.

And yeah I could see with headers and high flow cats it getting pretty loud.

80 definitely gets me out of the drone zone. Off hand, I'd say it drones pretty bad around 1600-1900 RPM or so and if I remember correctly, 80 mph puts you just above 2000 RPM.

I put some sound deadening foam behind the rear seats and that helped a bit but not enough for me. I'm ready to bring this thing back down a bit from the current trophy truck sound levels.

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mbrp on 6.2 loud.drone is bad.went 6000 miles after installing exhaust.wanted to take it off.wife liked it.now its here truck.have 17 nice and quiet

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80 definitely gets me out of the drone zone. Off hand, I'd say it drones pretty bad around 1600-1900 RPM or so and if I remember correctly, 80 mph puts you just above 2000 RPM.

I put some sound deadening foam behind the rear seats and that helped a bit but not enough for me. I'm ready to bring this thing back down a bit from the current trophy truck sound levels.

Don't know about the loudness as that is subjective. Need a db meter to determine that. But, how about Helmholz resonators to curb the drone?

I switched from SW 18" chambered mufflers to 24" Magnaflow straight thru packed mufflers and nearly got rid of the interior drone. May not need the Helmholz resonators now. Got to drive it for awhile. Sound level (db's) stayed nearly the same.