Exhaust Wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've toyed with the notion of wrapping the exhaust pipes (not the cat or resonator) from the manifold back to the muffler. Has anyone got first-hand experience with this on the Raptors? If so, is it worth the expense and trouble? What effects do you see, plus or minus? Does it get torn up in the off-road environment?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Waste of time and money. In a race vehicle if you have temp issue then sure. On a street driven vehicle you will see no real benefit. Wrapping the exhaust also traps the heat in the exhaust tubing which over time will promote cracking.

In our race cars we had to wrap the exhaust due to the close proximity to oil lines and high under hood temps. One thing we discovered was that wraped exhaust components do not last. 300 series stainless cracked, steel cracked, titanium cracked. The only material we got to last was inconel.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like you got what you wanted already, but...

I wrapped the exhaust on my H3 (Pulled the carpet and was trying to keep the heat down in the cab) and it worked fine on the road, but once I started taking it off-road it didn't last a couple weeks. Between the deep water, mud, and dirt, the wrap just disinegrated.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I should say that I have found a good use for some of the temperature reflecting wrap that's on the market. It's not for exhaust use, but it's good for wrapping fuel lines and other things under the hood that you don't want to get hot.

Here's a cheap experiment. The next time you get out of your truck after a goodly drive, pop the hood and put your hand on the intake tube that runs from the airbox to the throttle body. I guarantee that it will be more than just warm. I've wrapped mine with that shiny, adhesive, temperature reflecting wrap. It's a $20 mod, and should keep the temperature of the intake air more constant and from getting excessively hot.