Exhaust soot w/ JDM Whipple tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not too worried about it. Maybe it’s just caused by build up, telling me to hammer on it more often.

I guess I’m gonna get JDM make a tune for my wife’s ‘20 Expedition. It should be more fun with an extra 80 HP.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While Lamda and AFR are ok to see what's going on,
it's the short and long fuel Trims that are important to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KYmxracer52

KYmxracer52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While Lamda and AFR are ok to see what's going on,
it's the short and long fuel Trims that are important to keep an eye on.
Good to know. I don’t have my laptop with me right now, but I’ll post those numbers soon. I don’t remember what they were.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The idea is you want to follow them as you drive just to see if it stays longer in rich or lean.
When there in the negative it's rich and positive is lean.

I have a few videos on YouTube, I use a Bluetooth dongle and the TorquePro app on my Android phone.
I seem to have lost a video of all Trim values (Long and short), only shorts are bening displayed.
The AFR's on the bottom is, first one on the left is what's commanded and the one on the right is actual.

Last edited:

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all of those that are bashing email tuning on here (again and again and again...) email tuning isn't worse than local dyno tuning, it's all up to the tuner. While I was attending CSU one of my mechanical engineering professors worked for the honda moto gp race team and was always showing us test data being streamed to him directly from their test team in Japan. No one is going to second guess a SME on data that is being transferred through a cord directly or recorded and sent off across the globe. You are delusional if you think that all testing and data collection from OEMs is coming from one place and the engineers are sitting at desks next to dyno stands to get the OEM maps for PCMs. They record and send test data from their test vehicles and send it back to the engineering team to be interpreted and adjustments made to make the final product as reliable as possible in as many different locations for as many different use cases as possible. Sorry for the rant, I'll leave now.

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be surprised what a good "email tuner" can do reading from data logs and making adjustments. In my day (long ago) I was regarded as one of the best tuners in KC with a massive amount of Holly jets, a good Sun machine, dial back timing light and reading plugs. When we got my wife's GT350 recently I was worried about the tune from Dallas Mustang as they had a bad reputation and are out of business now. The car has headers, high flow cats & JLT intake. Got the tune, ran the data log and sent it off. Email came back to look for an exhaust on the right bank. Sure enough there was a crack in the cat on the right bank. Final tune is a beast!! Data logs make the difference and it does not matter if they are seven states away!!

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Email" tuning is only the exact same thing as in person tuning. They're reading data, and updating the tune. Same shit, they're just not "there". But a tuner thats good doesn't need to be there.

That being said, .69 lambda is on the rich side. Thats nearing a 10.0 AFR. I'd say that tune has some clean up that needs done. On gasoline, most forced induction stuff is happy around 10.8-11.2afr (around .75 lambda).

That being said, a bit of brown/black haze isn't abnormal with a properly tuned forced induction engine.