Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tojo9662

Reaction score
I have had my truck in twice for this issue. The dealership kept it overnight to do a cold start and said they heard nothing, but when I start it, it sounds like a freaking lawn mower. Are they deaf or do they just not want to acknowledge there is a problem?
When Ford comes up with a solution will it come out as a recall?

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my truck in twice for this issue. The dealership kept it overnight to do a cold start and said they heard nothing, but when I start it, it sounds like a freaking lawn mower. Are they deaf or do they just not want to acknowledge there is a problem?
When Ford comes up with a solution will it come out as a recall?
Same thing happened to me. I left mine with the dealer overnight as well and they claim they didn't hear anything. However, they did hear it on the recording on my phone. I am just waiting on the cold and the actual resolve from Ford before I take it back to the dealer.

blaiseam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer acknowledged the problem and just told me there is no fix at the moment. I find this odd, not all Gen 3's are making this noise...

Brody Goble

Reaction score
Mine absolutely hammers for a good couple minutes on every start.. cold or warm. I end up 2 footing it if people are around, if I just tip into the throttle, like 1%, the loud ticking goes away. Has done it since day 1 and this is my third Raptor I've owned (both others gen2 mind you). My friend's Gen 3 doesn't make the noise, just mine.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine absolutely hammers for a good couple minutes on every start.. cold or warm. I end up 2 footing it if people are around, if I just tip into the throttle, like 1%, the loud ticking goes away. Has done it since day 1 and this is my third Raptor I've owned (both others gen2 mind you). My friend's Gen 3 doesn't make the noise, just mine.
Mine was the same... loud metallic rattle. If it just touched the throttle, the it would go away.
I got my entire exhaust replaced just before the Ford notification came out... literally the next day the memo came out. I know I may get the rattle back, but so far it has been quite since the replacement 3k miles ago. Maybe I got a good one from inventory??

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer refuses to replace the exhaust, and is just waiting for a fix from Ford that was due last month lol. Those of you that got your exhaust replaced, good on you!