Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine replaced today. The ford regional engineer was there when I took it in a few weeks ago and said it wasn’t normal.
Now it’s quiet in all modes and start conditions.
Mine was a little noisy at cold start, but got really bad during a warm start.
Hoping it stays that way!

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine replaced today. The ford regional engineer was there when I took it in a few weeks ago and said it wasn’t normal.
Now it’s quiet in all modes and start conditions.
Mine was a little noisy at cold start, but got really bad during a warm start.
Hoping it stays that way!
Sounding like it will just come back. Engineers should have a fix by September per FordTechOne

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Ford released a service message today regarding this issue.

SSM 50963 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor - Rattle Noise From The Exhaust - Built On Or Before 06-Jun-2022
Some 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor vehicles built on or before 06-Jun-2022 may experience a rattle noise from the exhaust near the exhaust tailpipe actuators. This condition does not affect vehicle durability and no additional diagnosis or service is required for this condition at this time. Inform customers that they can continue to drive the vehicle, and engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition that is expected in September 2022. Replacement of the muffler will not resolve this condition. Monitor OASIS for additional information and schedule service appointments for customers once the repair becomes available.
1300 miles on mine, built after the cut off date, no rattles.

My question is, how can there be a cut off date if they don't have a known fix and replacing the parts with the latest won't fix it? That doesn't really compute.

Are we all really on borrowed time? lol

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My question is, how can there be a cut off date if they don't have a known fix and replacing the parts with the latest won't fix it? That doesn't really compute.

Guessing they are trying to figure out a repair vs replacement due to cost and supply constraints.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There is a production correction and a service correction. Meaning issue was fixed on the production line at the build date cutoff, but now they need to releases a service fix. The replacements in stock at the warehouses will be the previous part number. Considering the price of the muffler, I’d suspect they’re going to release the valve separately from the whole muffler.

22F22

Reaction score
Mine was built 7/22/22. After the cut off date and mine sounds exactly like the video that was uploaded

agerman

Reaction score
I have an early build and finally got around to taking it in. The tech said Ford made them reprogram an O2 sensor or some nonsense to see if that fixes this issue, which it didn’t. The form even said “current software/program is up to date”
It’s a simple fix provided they just swapped the muffler. Instead they’re jacking me around acting like my days are spent waiting around just to go drop my truck off back to Ford.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early build and finally got around to taking it in. The tech said Ford made them reprogram an O2 sensor or some nonsense to see if that fixes this issue, which it didn’t. The form even said “current software/program is up to date”
It’s a simple fix provided they just swapped the muffler. Instead they’re jacking me around acting like my days are spent waiting around just to go drop my truck off back to Ford.
They swapped my muffler and it didn’t fix the issue.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Ford released a service message today regarding this issue.

SSM 50963 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor - Rattle Noise From The Exhaust - Built On Or Before 06-Jun-2022
Some 2021-2022 F-150 Raptor vehicles built on or before 06-Jun-2022 may experience a rattle noise from the exhaust near the exhaust tailpipe actuators. This condition does not affect vehicle durability and no additional diagnosis or service is required for this condition at this time. Inform customers that they can continue to drive the vehicle, and engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition that is expected in September 2022. Replacement of the muffler will not resolve this condition. Monitor OASIS for additional information and schedule service appointments for customers once the repair becomes available.

Figured this should be reposted since some are still talking about replacing the muffler. If you are before the June 2022 build date, might as well wait out the fix from ford engineers in September. Otherwise, you are wasting time at your dealer.