Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LennyMoe

Reaction score
Anyone in AZ been able to find a dealer that will fix this issue? I've been told twice now and multiple times over the phone that this is "normal." I'm getting rather irritated.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone in AZ been able to find a dealer that will fix this issue? I've been told twice now and multiple times over the phone that this is "normal." I'm getting rather irritated.
My truck is at the dealer now for a couple recalls. I am having them look at my exhaust again for the second time for the rattle. I sent them a couple of videos of the noise. I will see what happens.

Rick955

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't blame you. Had mine for about a month now... haven't had any rattles at all from the exhaust.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had mine for 6 days, and it does this, plus one of my exhaust pipes sticks out about an inch further than the other. Others reported a height difference but mine are level. One just sticks out further than the other.

LennyMoe

Reaction score
I escalated the situation a bit and asked to speak the GM. He said he would talk to the tech about it and get back to me. I also asked him (nicely) to consider focusing on the muffler on cold start rather than starting it, sitting in the cab, and immediately say, "yeah, that's cam phasers or waste gate issues." We'll see what happens today.

LennyMoe

Reaction score
Update to the above comment:

The GM sent me had his Service Manager call me. I filled him in on the details and told him I truly believe the rattle is coming from the exhaust and not the cam phasers or waste gate. He said okay, I'll have the tech look at it with me later today (Thurs).

He calls me back Thurs and says he was able to replicate the sound himself but didn't have a tech with him at the time, and asked if I would allow them to keep it another day so the truck could sit overnight. Sure.

Next day (Fri) around noon, he calls me again. This time he says, "we were able to isolate where the noise is coming from......and you're right, it's definitely coming from the muffler. A new one has been ordered and should be here next week." Finally!

Hokie

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Sounds horrible. I have about 600 miles on it. Pretty sure it’s a loose valve in the muffler.

multirider

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread, I have a 22 and it’s annoying. For how much we shell out for these trucks this should not happen. I will be calling my dealer tomorrow.