Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same rattle noise as well. My rattle was all the time and not just at cold start. Give it just a little bit of throttle and it would go away, but as soon as you let off the throttle the rattle would come back. My dealer ordered a new muffler (Part # ML3Z5230GF) and it took almost a month for the part to arrive. Had it installed today and the rattle noise is gone. While it was in the shop I had the Sagging Heat Shield recall taken care of and there were also two additional recalls that they corrected. Both appear to be software updates. Recall 22S17 - Reprogram Integrated Trailer Relay Module and Recall 22S15 - Powertrain Control Module Software Update.
Good for you. I had my truck at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and I got the old "it is normal" answer. This apparently came from Ford.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good for you. I had my truck at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and I got the old "it is normal" answer. This apparently came from Ford.
If an exhaust rattle was normal, there would be a bulletin stating that. There is not. The dealer probably just contacted hotline; they can’t hear the noise, they can only provide diagnostic recommendations. I would try and find a new dealer if possible.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If an exhaust rattle was normal, there would be a bulletin stating that. There is not. The dealer probably just contacted hotline; they can’t hear the noise, they can only provide diagnostic recommendations. I would try and find a new dealer if possible.
This was all at the dealer that damaged my truck when I had it their for oil change and service. The clicking muffler being one of the things I wanted them to look into. Ford saw my post and reached out to me to help facilitate all of my concerns with the damage and the other issues I was having. I even had video of the clicking. I sent this to the dealer and also to the Ford contact that was working with me to make sure everything was handled properly. The Ford representative told me the same thing about trying to go to another dealer. I told her I did not think it was the dealer as much as it was the what Ford told them when the dealer contacted Ford for how to move forward with this. I know the dealer told me the noise was not as obvious when he listened to it on his computer as it was when he listened to it on my phone. Part of the problem is the sound is way more obvious when it is cold out. I am going to keep an eye on it as it is starting to warm up to see if it is still there. When I get time, I will check out another dealer.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also been told that my exhaust rattle is normal, and also that I need to find another dealer to assess it. But for the time being I have found that if I climb under the truck right after I start it and flex the actuator on top of the pipe I can get it to stop rattling for that driving event. It comes right back next time it starts up, but it's something. I might try to remove the actuator if I can find time.

Last edited:

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also been told that my exhaust rattle is normal, and also that I need to find another dealer to assess it. But for the time being I have found that if I climb under the truck right after I start it and flex the actuator on top of the pipe I can get it to stop rattling for that driving event. It comes right back next time it starts up, but it's something. I might try to remove the actuator if I can find time.
You get anywhere with this? My 22 is making the same noise.

agerman

Reaction score
I am glad to hear it is a simple fix because my truck was just delivered and has the same thing wrong with it. I have a 2021 model.

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the noise is present initially on cold start, goes away once the idle drops, but then is still present under acceleration and load at low speeds (and probably at high speeds but I can't hear it anymore).

Definitely sounds like a rattle or just something loose. I looked underneath and didn't see anything obvious. It does seem to be coming from the valve area or the muffler canister right near it, but it is hard to tell.

I have tried the different exhaust modes and can hear a difference, so I think the valve is doing something.
I've been waiting for my Raptor since 11/21, and in the meantime own an f150 powerboost. Same think you're describing has happened to my truck since day 1. Sounds like it's coming from the back right of the truck, and is a rattle/grind that occurs when the gas engine is active when it's cold outside

CodeOrange

Reaction score
My dealer told me the same thing. I will go to the general manager. It is an epic fail on Fords production folks. Start your truck in a parking lot...it's embarrassing.