Exhaust rattle on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After an exhaust replacement last year, it started rattling again. Mine just had the TSB performed.
I do hear a rattle on occasion. Same sound, but it does not happen consistently. Plus, I can tell they did some programming.
Now when I remote start the truck and I am in quiet start, the valves are not fully closed. When I get in the truck and push start, I can hear it go into quiet mode. That is when I may rattle.
Going to see how it progresses and contact the dealer if it gets worse.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So would anyone with the exhaust issue say this is the same? Or something else?
Sounds different than my original, which was about that loud. Yours sounds like an exhaust leak. If it is the exhaust rattle like most here, you should hear it back by the valves. The valves are closest to the passenger side and at the back of the rear door.
Plus, you can hear it at the exhaust outlet as well.
Your sounds like it is all at the front.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the TSB done a few weeks ago, on occasion the rattle is back. Taking truck to new dealer for suspension clunk (owned by the one I bought from) who took care of my 2020. The other dealer in town I took for the exhaust and clunk SSM were just the closest. Gonna have them check exhaust again

FlyAA757

Reaction score
Sounds different than my original, which was about that loud. Yours sounds like an exhaust leak. If it is the exhaust rattle like most here, you should hear it back by the valves. The valves are closest to the passenger side and at the back of the rear door.
Plus, you can hear it at the exhaust outlet as well.
Your sounds like it is all at the front.

The original fix was to replace the EGR cooler valve, nut, and gaskets. But seems like that wasnt the issue...

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems you will be headed back to your dealer. I would not be okay with that sound post fix. Curious to hear what they actually find when it isn fixed properly.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the TSB done a few weeks ago, on occasion the rattle is back. Taking truck to new dealer for suspension clunk (owned by the one I bought from) who took care of my 2020. The other dealer in town I took for the exhaust and clunk SSM were just the closest. Gonna have them check exhaust again
Really bummed to see this... the rattle on my exhaust has gotten markedly worse the last 3 months with the winter. A blemish on an otherwise amazing vehicle otherwise!

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my exhaust fixed after trying since I received the truck in September 2021. The first test sounded good when I picked it up. Hopefully this lasts.
Dealer also did a reprogram to fix the sensors constantly going off for no reason. I also mentioned my truck getting stuck in first gear a few times (possibly my fault from accidentally hitting the shifters and locking the gears out) so they did a reprogram on my transmission.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally got my exhaust fixed after trying since I received the truck in September 2021. The first test sounded good when I picked it up. Hopefully this lasts.
Dealer also did a reprogram to fix the sensors constantly going off for no reason. I also mentioned my truck getting stuck in first gear a few times (possibly my fault from accidentally hitting the shifters and locking the gears out) so they did a reprogram on my transmission.
Since Sept 2021, damn! Glad the dealer got you squared away & hopefully this fix does stick this go round! :burnout: