Exhaust Rattle - Cold Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**Edit: Adding the TSB info for those who have the same issue so you don't have to read the entire thread: The TSB number is 22-2388. It was released 12/19/22. It’s proprietary, so the a dealer bulletin it shouldn’t be posted externally/publicly. Dealers can find it by simply running OASIS symptom coded to exhaust noise." Thanks @HighwaySentinel for the info**

Original Post:
I remember seeing a bunch of folks talking about the exhaust rattle but hadn’t experienced it myself until a couple of days ago. For those who had it looked at by a dealer, was there a cause identified and fix applied?

Brining mine in for a rear suspension knock this week and not sure I want to go down the exhaust rattle rabbit hole after just dealing with the suspension issues. Attached is a video for those wondering what I’m referring to with the exhaust.
View attachment trim.AA82755C-540B-45FF-A7AF-C3FAFCC63F6C.MOV

Last edited:

Corpsefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a known issue and There's no fix from Ford yet. Some people have had cat replaced and/or full exhaust and issue went away while others had the same repair with issues persisting.

When took my truck in armed with the info in gathered from this forum the dealership basically said we are waiting for Ford.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I remember seeing a bunch of folks talking about the exhaust rattle but hadn’t experienced it myself until a couple of days ago. For those who had it looked at by a dealer, was there a cause identified and fix applied?

Brining mine in for a rear suspension knock this week and not sure I want to go down the exhaust rattle rabbit hole after just dealing with the suspension issues. Attached is a video for those wondering what I’m referring to with the exhaust.
View attachment 385541
That sounds louder than most I have heard, That would drive me crazy. There has got to be some kind of fix for that. COME ON FORD.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 385541
Mine sounded just like that. And when warm mostly. Was loud.
Dealer replaced the exhaust and it came back in a few thousand miles. Not as bad, but still annoying.
My exhaust was replaced just before Ford sent the memo about not replacing it.
One member here unplugged his and the rattle went away, but stuck in whatever mode it’s in.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 385541
I know exactly what problem that is. The active exhaust valves. They make that horrible sound and make the truck sound different each click it makes. Take it in to the dealer and tell them what happen and they should replace it.

lawraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won't replace your exhaust. Ford was supposed to come out with a fix back in September, but haven't done anything. Pretty sad and embarrassing.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sucks. If it happens on mine... im just gonna get the Magnaflow system.
Normally I’d do something similar too but I’m actually pretty satisfied with how the exhaust sounds, especially in Baja mode, for a V6. It’s definitely no V8 growl but I feel like ford tuned this exhaust well. If only, they’d used quality parts in doing so we wouldn’t be running into issues like this chatter on cold starts.

Last edited:

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Normally I’d do something similar too but I’m actually pretty satisfied with how the exhaust sounds, especially in Baja mode, for a V6. It’s definitely know V8 growl but I feel like ford tuned this exhaust well. If only, they’d used quality parts in doing so we wouldn’t be running into issues like this chatter on cold starts.
agreed. the exhaust sounds great but the manaflow makes it sound even better and uses quality parts.