Exhaust Pops and Crackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ianerrid

Reaction score
Newbie so please forgive me if this is too simple. I have just moved to the US and bought my first truck, a 2018 Raptor and I came from Merc-AMG's and loved the sound they made on the overrun - I have a Ford Performance cat back which has given me the right balance of throttle on / no drone I was after but miss the throttle off sounds. Does anyone do a tune to get these?

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will need catless downpipes and 3" exhaust with no resonators and a hot tune, then it will probably do it. It will be loud as **** though.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will need catless downpipes and 3" exhaust with no resonators and a hot tune, then it will probably do it. It will be loud as **** though.

I can vouch for that. I reinstalled my resonator because of it. Hard to have calls when driving even with my interior having full sound deadening.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can vouch for that. I reinstalled my resonator because of it. Hard to have calls when driving even with my interior having full sound deadening.

oooo, I bet it was nasty though...

My sti was 3" catless with a Garrett GTX3076r and **** and it BARKED

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes it did, it was nasty. WOT was insane. A little more tame now for everyday driving but still has the nasty at WOT.

@ianerrid, I know the sound you are looking for. It is the burple that the European turbo motors will make when tuned. My wife's Maserati (tuned) has that pop when in sport mode and my buddy who has an M5 has his tuned and decated and pops (burple) very loud. What we have found after making significant mods on my engine will only pop when I am manually shifting at high RPM. It is nowhere near the pop that the European motors you are used to will make.

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pop on decel is due to retarded exhaust cam timing and retarded spark lead that allows combustion to be heard through the exhaust. Easy to tune in, but it doesn't sound as awesome as it does on some of the european cars, just a different exhaust system at the end of the day.

I have downpipes and different muffler, etc and it burbles and pops but it's not the same. I put it back to stock decel settings.