GEN 2 Exhaust backfire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miggy

Reaction score
Running 91 octane and my 2020 has a done it a few times now. CAI and Cobb tune. Stock exhaust. It scares me because I forget about it and it’s loud enough to make you think something just broke on your truck haha

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are people still experiencing this and is it really fine? I'm running a goosetuned stage if that makes any difference, I was thinking maybe the gas station I just filled up at put a lower grade octane than I choose because it literally happened after I filled up. Can the goosetune adjust for lower octane fuel?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still happens to me after filling up. The more I top it off, the worse it backfires. Has done it on stock tune, MPT tune, and now goosetune so I'm pretty sure it's just some weirdness with the truck and not the tune.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has happened to me ever since new with a fill up. I always run the same octane level so hard to believe thats the issue of adjustment. Got to be something else.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you top off too much you’ll push raw fuel into the Evap canister. When the purge valve opens the engine will draw that raw fuel into the intake, causing various issues. Raw fuel entering the exhaust will definitely cause a popping noise on decel.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you top off too much you’ll push raw fuel into the Evap canister. When the purge valve opens the engine will draw that raw fuel into the intake, causing various issues. Raw fuel entering the exhaust will definitely cause a popping noise on decel.
Yeah and I'm wondering if this ******** is what has been causing my sooted CAT? Happened on my OEM and my SPD cats, always bank 1.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun fact, I had this happen when filling up but not all the way up as well. Say to like 3/4 of a tank and still did it.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did it on my 17 and it does it on my 19 if you fill the fuel tank all the way up. It doesn't do it for too many miles after filling up, and it seems to occur mostly when letting off the throttle and coasting.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did it on my 17 and it does it on my 19 if you fill the fuel tank all the way up. It doesn't do it for too many miles after filling up, and it seems to occur mostly when letting off the throttle and coasting.
yep goes away pretty quickly