GEN 2 Exhaust backfire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Has anyone had issues with exhaust backfire after gassing up?

Details:
  • Only gassed up 6 times since I bought in November 2018 (2017 model It was used with 9k miles) (I travel during the week most weeks low miles lol)
  • The last 4 times I have gassed up exhaust pops upon deceleration right after a fill-up
  • I mostly fill up at Costco with the exception of one Chevron fill
  • I have used 87 octane until the last two fill-ups
  • Let it go to 30 miles till empty and filled it with 91 octane last fill up. This week I filled it up when it got to a half tank with 91.
  • Pop was a lot less than it was before the fix below and possibly the octane switch
  • I did have a CEL last month and took it into Ford for repairs under warranty.
  • Had blown sensor on the exhaust (offroading damage according to them, they set the harness for sensor higher since I take it off road a decent amount) and a blown fuse.
  • The truck is stock no tune or upgrades. The only mod I have performance wise is a Borla Attack exhaust (i checked for exhaust leaks and did not find anything obvious) and Pedal Commander but was doing it before I installed it the pedal commander at least.
  • I do have a heavy foot and take her off-roading at least every other weekend
  • 38% oil engine life (may take it in for early oil change)
I figure it has to be emissions related as it only happens after I fill up to full and only makes the pop once. It doesn't really bother me but I would like to know if anyone has ever run into this.

Tin Can Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same exact thing; 2018 with 7k miles. I have only ever had 93 octane in it, other than a CAI and an exhaust its stock. I remember reading about others hearing the same thing after filling up with fuel, either on here or on the regular f150 forum; not sure there was ever a resolution. I am going to mention it to my dealer when I take it in for the stupid rip my b pillar apart recall.

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done it from day one its only when filling up to when hose stops the fill. Ive narrowed it down to backfire in the muffler. It does not backfire if you fill to say 30 gallons and had maybe 4 left. Has to be the emission/vent fill tube or something. omly does it once a full fill though.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has done it from day one its only when filling up to when hose stops the fill. Ive narrowed it down to backfire in the muffler. It does not backfire if you fill to say 30 gallons and had maybe 4 left. Has to be the emission/vent fill tube or something. omly does it once a full fill though.
This. My 2018 has done this since new... still does if I fill up all the way.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another data point.

‘19, have filled from less than 1/4 tank twice now. Both times to the hose shutting off.

No backfiring that I’ve noticed either time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nfsraptor

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same exact thing; 2018 with 7k miles. I have only ever had 93 octane in it, other than a CAI and an exhaust its stock. I remember reading about others hearing the same thing after filling up with fuel, either on here or on the regular f150 forum; not sure there was ever a resolution. I am going to mention it to my dealer when I take it in for the stupid rip my b pillar apart recall.

Ah ok maybe it's a eco boost thing. I mean doesn't bother me just curious.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Have the same thing after filling up. Now I try to time the ‘pop’ with pedestrians.... [emoji56][emoji2957]

18 SCrew Magnetic, Roush CAI. Whipple tuned. SPD adapters, Kooks Green catted down pipes. Kooks mid pipes w/ resonator. HF & VHF Connected.