Evolution of a Dinosaur

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a host of custom vehicles, but last year when I moved to the Denver area I purchased a used 2010 Ford Raptor 6.2L. I had been living in the DC area and driving a small car that better suited life in a major city with no garage, parellel parking and drivers that ding your doors, bumpers, mirrors, etc like it's their job. Once in Denver, I wanted another truck again and knew there just wasn't anything that could touch the Raptor! So I found this one and started the customization process.

IMG_3958_zps75f53254.jpg

Shortly after joining FRF, I met up with some other local Raptor owners. It wasn't long before details about the 2013s were coming out and that's when I knew it was time to upgrade. I placed an order with Louisburg Ford out of Kansas for $50 over invoice and impatiently began to wait. Three months later, my 2013 arrived! While just a crappy cell phone pic, the dealership had it fully detailed and sitting underneath a covered area awaiting my arrival.

pic1_zps32b13393.jpg

Having discovered the Texas Raptor Run about a week after it occurred last year, I really wanted to go this year. In the short 6 weeks I've had the truck so far, I've been racing to get this truck ready for Texas. List of current mods to date:

- Airaid Intake
- 20% window tint
- ADD Stealth front bumper
- Rigid 40", 20", two sets of D2s and a single set of Duallies
- DeeZee tailgate assist
- Recon LED tail lights
- AMB LED lighting kit
- Icon 3.0 shocks
- PDP Mud Flaps
- Craven Stubby
- Icom 5021
- JLT Oil Catch Can

IMG_4050_zpsfad9ba88.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrownOffroad

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Icon 3.0s during a Christmas holiday sale and then stashed them away until a few weeks ago. With a ton of help from iSurvive, we installed the shocks on my truck one day, then his the following the day. I also want to extend a huge thank you to Birdman for providing his detailed write up on how to install these!

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/i...l-arm-skid-plate-installation-write-up-20927/

I was leaning towards having a local 4x4 shop install them, but they wanted a pretty penny to perform the work. The initial install of the fronts took about 4 hours for one and 2.5 for the other. The install on the back shocks was much easier and ran about 2 hours. I will say that after using a small Dremel grinder, iSurvive found and ordered a Dewalt die grinder. This thing eats metal and literally saved us a ton of time. Beyond the die grinder, we used basic hand tools on everything else.

IMG_4029_zps6be7f577.jpg

IMG_4038_zpse6b654b2.jpg

IMG_4040_zps07640792.jpg

For round two installs on iSurvive's truck (and having the new grinder) we managed to install the rear shocks in about 45 minutes and do both front coilovers in 4 hours. Birdman, if you managed to do this install by yourself, my hat goes off to you sir!

Sidenote - after mid perch, Icons, Fox, etc you are going to need an alignment. The dealership wanted $99 so I started calling around. There's a local Firestone that I've used for another vehicle that has always been great. They have a lifetime (yes literally as long as you own the vehicle) alignment for $159! Since my alignment is normally knocked out of alignment after most heavy offroading trips, this will quickly pay for itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrownOffroad

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After some serious offroading and jumping last summer in my '10, whatever cargo in the bed always seemed to come loose, move around or break. After my first jumping session, my Source Co2 air kit came loose and sheared the gauges and fittings right off. With my new '13, I've have been doing a lot of research on bed racks. I really like the Outlaw setup, but wanted more. I reached out to Ron at Saints Offroad after seeing his thread about the Delta Chase rack. After a handful of phone calls and emails, he understood what I was looking for. With some modifications to his already great setup, we had a winner. I had Ron add extra mounting points, a jack mount, a jack handle mount, bracket to mount my Source air tank to and some other mounting points for future additions like a second battery, antenna, LED whips, etc.

Here is the final product installed:

IMG_4044_zpsc55ac4f3.jpg

And with a few items mounted (I quickly realized that this is going to require some serious cargo tie down straps and that my crappy green ones weren't going to suffice):

IMG_4048_zps2b347433.jpg

Saints Offroad is a newer vendor on FRF, but should not be overlooked! Working with Ron was amazing and his level of customer service went above and beyond anything I could have imagined. He emailed photos of the build, text me updates and has already called and emailed to make sure that the I received the rack. If you are looking for a bumper, chase rack or just some Raptor parts, give this man a call!

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/saints-offroad-ford-raptor-forum-vendor-please-read-22575/

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrownOffroad

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally had some warmer weather so was able to finish installing the rack, wiring, etc.

IMG_4053_zpsf4563e9a.jpg

Source Air Kit filled up and installed along with the jack handle. Also found some stronger straps for the tires:

IMG_4058_zpsea9a2b54.jpg

One of the other requests I had for Ron at Saints Offroad was to run LED whips. I was able to repurpose a Rigid Industries wiring harness to power the whips. Plus it's nice to have an easily reachable on/off switch.

IMG_4059_zps388aa210.jpg

Ron also threw in some Saints flags as a bit of a surprise when I received the rack and accessories.

IMG_4060_zps86daa6fc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrownOffroad

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some last minute installs before heading to Texas:

I ordered the Icon power reservoir with the front cooler addition. Icon's directions are a bit vague, but after watching an installation video on another reservoir install, this wasn't too big of a task. I recommend removing your intake tube to allow for plenty of working space. It can be done with it installed, but I found the removal only took an extra minute or two.

IMG_4071_zps03f27ab5.jpg

From there, disconnect the two pipes/tubes that connect to the lower portion of the stock reservoir. Be ready with some type of cup to catch the escaping fluid. There was more than I thought there would be and some spilled in the engine bay.

IMG_4072_zps54f59ccc.jpg

From there, I installed the front cooler. I left the bolts slightly loose to allow for final fitting before securing them all the way down.

IMG_4069_zps459487d4.jpg

IMG_4070_zpsbbb0378c.jpg

Once in place, I hooked up the supplied hose. I purchased some hose clamps rather than utilize the clamps that came with it. But regardless, all the parts you need for install to include extra PS fluid came with the kit.

IMG_4073_zpsedf80106.jpg

Final picture of the PSR installed. Note: no clearance issues at all with the aftermarket intake system.

IMG_4074_zps418639a2.jpg

This was a relatively simple install. Total time spent was approximately 30 minutes. Don't forget to reinstall your mass airflow sensor once your done. I forgot to and immediately upon starting the truck up, lots of error codes popped up and then the service engine soon light. Once I plugged the sensor back in, no issues! Devil is in the details!

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chris - When you came to pick up the spare and I got to see your truck I really fell in love with the white. And, you have it set up really well. I'm a tad jealous. :) Get some TX pin-striping on it this weekend and it won't be so damn shiny.

See you soon.

Matt

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What bracket are you using for your air tank? I was thinking of fab'ing one up, but that looks slick.

OP
OP
CrownOffroad

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What bracket are you using for your air tank? I was thinking of fab'ing one up, but that looks slick.

Here is the link to the bracket:

The Souce OA-BRACKET10 Vehicle Bracket for The Source High Performance Air System - Amazon.com

The bracket came with my air tank set up, but overall I like it. I seems to be really secure and fits great with the chase rack. Here's my whole set up:

The Source S-KIT10B High Performace Portable Air System with Vehicle Bracket - Amazon.com

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the PS cooler thermostat controlled or does it always push fluid thru the cooler?