EV Raptor: Well, Would Ya?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since it's a truck you can mount a generator under the bed now your only limitation is running out of fuel. You can have a duel fuel gen and now your cooking anyway you want. Let's face it fantasy maybe but soon

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will you do if you’re stuck off road with an EV Raptor? Get a generator? What will you do for the sound? TwinT V6 sound is better than no sound...
What will you do with a long roadtrip? Stop for hours every time you’re out of juice?
I’m a gas engine guy for above and many other reasons :)

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The biggest question of all is "What will it sound like??" :rolleyes:

I had a hard enough time convincing myself to finally test drive the V6TT after driving the 6.2L for 8 years! (As soon as I drove a Gen 2, I had to have it...)

Driving around a completely silent Raptor, except for the usual suspension squeaks and noisy tires, will be unsettling for most of us who have just gotten used to the "different" sounds of the V6 beast. :cool:

The arguments of which is better (EV vs V6 vs V8) will last for years, and I do mean YEARS!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford makes 3 hybrids right now, no trucks. No EVs. It's hard to imagine that Ford would choose start with the Raptor instead of all the better options in their lineup. As well, EVs and hybrids got a big boost years ago when fuel prices were particularly bad. It would make more sense to introduce EVs when things swing back around rather than now.

The way I see it, people buy Tesla mostly for the status symbol it is. I don't think that works for Tesla if they had gas powered versions. Same goes for Prius, but I think that crowd is also environmental and budget concerned. Does that fit the truck crowd at all? People who are budget concerned are going with the base model. I can't see it fitting the environmental concern since it's obviously still an inefficient way to travel. Image is hard to pull off since it will be looked at by many as the wimpier version of the truck, regardless if true or not.

I do think a hybrid is more likely, as I think you can improve mpg without losing the power and tough image of the truck. But even then, start with the a different trim level. Maybe a new trim level. Get it established as a normal daily driver or light duty work truck before throwing it in the high end trims.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some day...yes...Many years into the future once they have perfected it in other trucks. The Raptor is a pinacle vehicle and the tech would need to be a step above and proven. How to recharge overlanding? 500 miles is fine but what about powering air conditioning, aftermarket stereo/amp and other stuff that can be plugged, what kind of driving do you have to do for the 500 miles? what about crunching the battery on a rock? so many inanswered questions but eventually, once perfected, I could see an EV Raptor being a thing...2040 maybe?

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will electric motors and batteries withstand hard offroad use like mud, dust, sand, water crossings, mud bogging, salt, extreme heat and extreme cold?

I had a 1st Gen Chevy Volt as my commuter car in Honolulu. It was perfect for that purpose until I brought it here to Las Vegas. On the drive up from Long Beach through the desert it ran out of power going up long grades. It was running on gas backup since my 40 mile electric range had long gone. The gas generator 1.4L 4 cyl engine could not generate enough power for the electric motors, the A/C and the batteries. So by the top of the long grades on I-15 I was in the slow truck lane with my flashers on going 30mph. Even Semi's were passing me! How embarrasing!! I lost my love for EV's on that trip. Here in Las Vegas the Volt would do the same thing on hot days over 100 degrees on uphill sections of the freeways, even with fully charged batteries. Just not enough reserve power for freeway speed and running the A/C on max. I think the heat reduces the effeciency of the batteries. The battery pack has its own cooling system too.

VinceC

Reaction score
I think everyone has seen this:

I drove the Model 3 performance and man does that thing move. It takes some getting used to but I was truest impressed.

I’m not sure whether the truck world is ready for an EV Raptor. Not sure how the heavy battery would impact suspension. Lots of storage in the frunk. At least no one can female dog about the V6 vs V8 sound. You could just pipe in the exhaust from a GT500.
Engineering Explained had a good video explaining why this towing a million pounds wasn't as impressive as they made it out to be. Bottom line is most 4 wheel drive trucks could do it. I would still like to see a hybrid Raptor though.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest question of all is "What will it sound like??" :rolleyes:

Like a Godzilla-sized Makita drill! Pretty damn scary!! That's what the performance Tesla I drove sounded like. I've driven a lot of fast cars—that one was among the quickest. So much torque. Trucks need torque, and EVs are where it's at. I do off-road a lot, and I'm a diehard blown V8 fan. Soooo, the silence would be really weird, and I'd need to feel pretty comfortable about being 100 miles from nowhere. Generator idea to limp out could be good. I love the EV truck idea overall, and I still love my gas hog.